Neurology Expert Forum
localised numbness and burning sensation

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am experiencing a' numbness' and sudden, intense burning sensations to a small area of the outside of my right thigh.
Have recently started a course of lower back treatment for a suspected 'slipped disc', and as these symptoms seem to occur when I am moving around, I wondered if there could be a connection?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There is a condition that I would like you to be aware of called meralgia paresthetica. It is a sensory disturbance, usually painful and burning, located on the lateral aspect (i.e., outside) of the leg. The burning sensation is usually worsened with prolonged positions. The nerve that supplies this region courses through muscle and between tight ligamentous areas. These make it susceptible for compression. Treatment includes neurontin and lyrica. Other options may lincde a neurectomy (surgical procedure).

I recommend that you be seen by your PCP. He/she may wish to refer you to a neurologist.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.