loss muscle strength
After slipping down or faling, sometimes even gently, onto my back, I am unable to get up again due to virtually complete loss of muscle strength in both arms and legs. I have had four or five episodes in last four months (two in past week, while visiting family),  What is causing this? I am 90 years old but in good health and my general practitioner is Dr.Timothy Tuthill at Cleveland Clinic (unavailable now during the holidays.) My recent blood count report from him is all good.

I live alone, fairly far removed from neighbors, and I am fearful of this happening again now, when I can't get help.
Thank you very much for your question; although it is quite difficult for me to give you a precise opinion here without being able to examine you, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

It appears that after accident this could be a slipped/prolapsed disc. Symptoms may originate due to nerve root pressure, pressure on the spinal cord and pressure on the tail bone. Common symptoms could be paralysis of muscles, pain radiating to the arms or legs, leg pain and numbness, tingling, or weakness. Warning symptoms can include loss of control of the bladder function, paralysis & spasticity of both the legs. Since you are suffering continuous weakness and notice reduced strength of muscle bulk in left leg, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this helps. Take Care & Stay Healthy!!!
Thank you, Doctor. But I'm afraid my description was inadequate.  You see, the inability to get up was temporary with each episode.  It lasted only for perhaps 10 - 30 minutes each time. Once I was on my feet again it did not continue.

I am tryiing to see a neurologist now.

Thank you.

Bribe