Neurology Community
loss of use of right hand

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

loss of use of right hand

I am a 40 year old female and healthy except for the fact that I went to sleep 3 days ago and when I woke up I had lost the use of my right hand.  When I first woke up, it was my entire right arm and it felt as though it was 'asleep" like I had laid on it for to long.  After a few minutes of working my arm I got the use of it back, but not my hand.  It's going on day 4 now and I still can't use it. I can not control my wrist and straiten out my hand, it just falls limp.  I can not straiten my fingers or thumb, yet I can squeeze things and have strength in my hand.  I can not write or type or anything that requires me to control my fingers or my wrist.  It does not tingle, is not numb and does not hurt. Could I have slept to long on it and killed a nerve?  I have no symptoms of a stroke other then the hand thing.  Any ideas of what may be happening?

Pam
THE EXACT SAME STORY AS MINE PAM.  DID YOU EVER FIND OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING?  IT WAS JUST 4 DAY AGO TODAY FOR ME!
my name is Angeline and the same thing happened to me but it's my left wrist n hand.  mine happened 26 days ago n I still don't have use of mine.  My hand falls limp also but I can turn my hand palm side up and can raise my hand up but it kinda draws my fingers up. but I can turn my hand over palm down n I cannot raise my hand up its like my wrist will not function. I'm very scared so if u have found out anything please let me know. thanks
my husbans is experiencing the same right hand issue.  He went to sleep sitting down on the couch.  When he woke up in the morning he noticed that his hand was not cooperating.  Today 1/15/12 is day 2 of this craziness.  I told him not to give up on the hand.  I've been reminding him to use the right hand otherwise the brain might think it is no longer needed.  This is very strange.  I thought maybe he had a mild stroke while he was sleeping.  Maybe he pinched a nerve.
Dave Mustaine, lead vocalist and guitarist for the heavy metal band Megadeth, suffered a hand injury similar to what is described here, as a result of falling asleep on his arm.  After much physical therapy he regained the use of his hand, and 10 years later is still playing guitar.

Here's a short youtube clip of him answering a fan question about his experience,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJUg8FuBWXU