Neurology Community
lump on back of head causing pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

lump on back of head causing pain

A friend of mine has a small lump on the back right side of his head.  It swells every once in a while which causes a headache that migrates toward the front.  Then goes away.  This has been going on for around 2 years.  It's only on the right side.  He has seen his pcp and they suggested it may just be a tension headache.  Any suggestions as to what could be causing this??
Hello.

It is difficult to tell what the lump is without some more information about it. How is the lump to touch ? Is it soft, cyst-like ? Does it increase on exercise, such as running ? Has the PCP seen the lump ? What was his comment ?

Is the lump there since 2 years ?

Regards
The lump is soft and swells randomly, not necessarily with exercise.  He has seen a couple Dr's regarding the lump and headache.  One said it was normal, another suggested a tension headache and also maybe an inflammation of some sort.  He was given some meds for that.  Didn't help.  This has been going on for 2 yrs.
Hello.

I am not convinced that lump is a normal thing. I would refer him to a General Surgeon, even if this is a "normal" lump. A General Surgeon's opinion holds weight. It looks to be related to the symptoms, as the pain starts when it swells.

I suspect some venous malformation.

Regards

I have a situation similar like his friend, im 22 years old and  i feel like sometimes i have a bump in my head im good and then suddenly it hits very sharp and loud the pain, if i walk faster or get angry it gets more tension, you know like some people if they go bald they would look pretty i dont think thats my case i feel like my head has a lot of lumps? thats the way u call it? i never had an accident or get hurt in my head hard, but this pain hits really hard suddenly...
hi i am a 13 yr old and i have 2 bumps on my head and whenever i get a tonsil related problem it swells up and it starts 2 pain suddenly . my doctor had said that maybe it could b caused by some infection.but it pains really hard and when i put some ointment like some balm on it it just burns.plz suggest me something 2 cure this.