Neurology Community
memory and concentration loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

memory and concentration loss

memory and concentration loss problem
Hello everybody, I need help in something that is not allowed to talk about in my community, so I hope that you help me.
I am a 17 years old boy. and I used to watch porn movies a lot, and masturbate too. Well, I know the dangers, memory loss, less concentration, sexual weakness. I know. But I couldn't stop, I just continued despite everything. I didn't know how to stop. However, even after I lost my ability to concentrate and memorize well, I didn't feel this. But now, I have completely lost my abilities, and at this very point of time, I just feel I should suicide because I have very important exams next month, and I can't study in such horrible case.

So, my question is, if I stopped doing it, would it be possible that I get my lost abilities of concentration and memorizing back? or It is just a matter of neural cells that die and can't be restored? is there an urgent way that can help me? the exams are very soon, and I am really afraid, I know I am the only one to be blamed, that is why I am thinking about just killing myself.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Masturbation and indulgence in porn related movie watching is not directly related to memory cell loss but distraction. You need to give these perversions and fantasies a break and do not feel guilty. Try to concentrate on studies with commitment. The causes of memory loss can be aging, alzheimer’s disease, trauma, side effects of certain drugs, etc. the loss which has occurred cannot be reliably reversed but further can be prevented. Eat nutritious foods, reduce stress, check and keep your blood pressure under control to prevent strokes etc, sleep deprivation to be avoided, dietary supplements like multivitamins and mineral complexes like lecithin, garlic, vitamin B complex, zinc, copper vitamin C helps. These help remove the harmful free radicles. You must also indulge your mind in puzzles, strategy games, word games and number games to stimulate the brain cells and halt memory loss. Take care.
I am really grateful
You said "The causes of memory loss can be aging, alzheimer’s disease, trauma, side effects of certain drugs, etc."
I haven't had any of these, except for the aging of course, and every time I did it, I felt it was the cause of the problem. I have been doing it for 5 years by the way.

Another thing, just to make sure, memory loss can be stopped, but not restored to its original case? I mean, only three weeks ago, my memory was very very better than what it is now, in fact, I was finishing my studying in few hours, while now, I need to study the whole day to finish such number of pages.

Thanks a lot, I am grateful
Honestly, suicide is definitely not the solution. U r quite young and your life shouldn't depend on trying to find an "easy" way out. So here's the deal, first STOP doing it, and try to eat foods high in protein, that should get your brain back into shape. Too much of anything is not good for you and as 'necessary' it may feel or seem to continue this habit, it takes alot out of you- both physically and mentally. So, seriously- try 'feeding' your brain with what it NEEDS not what it WANTS, you'll be as good as new. Try eating stuff like eggs, beans, bananas, meat, drink milk and even take a multivitamin (as 'old lady' as that may seem- it really works, especially before tests). Give it a try and make sure you let us know when you get that "A" on your exams!
Thanks, but still, I didn't get the answer, would it be useful to leave it, and would I be able to remember things better, like the old days, and concentrate?

I am not taking the easy way. I know that was wrong, but in my country, high school scores will determine if I can study what I want or not, would I get a scholarship or not. It is complicated.

You are correct, my diets aren't good enough. I will try to eat healthier food.

I am grateful
Yes, I think that if you leave it you will be able to remember things just like before, like the old days :) I think the concentration and your memory will go back to what it was like before if you leave this habit and improve your diet. Also, I completely understand about your high school grades taking a huge part in your college career- that happened to me! One test was actually what seperated me and my dream career, and that was very stressful, especially when I was not the smartest student. But, what I did was eat rice, beans, a fried egg, a glass of milk and a vitamin every day leading up to the test, and I (or should I say my brain) did great! You can do it! :)
P.S. Just so you know, when I mentioned the "easy way out", I was referring to when you had mentioned suicide.... and I knew you wouldn't take that route, good for you!!!! :O) Good luck!!!!!