Neurology Community
meningeal calcification

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

meningeal calcification

good evening

i need to know about this condition " meningeal calcification" please .... my younger sister is 20 years old, developed seizures similar to epilepsy seizures, but she is a non case of epilepsy ..... CT showed faint meningeal calcification ... can you please tell what does it mean? does she has epilepsy? and what we can do?
if you know some useful web sites please tell me about them

thanx a lot  
Hello, I express a very warm welcome to Medhelp forum. Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine her I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that she needs, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about her health concern. Abnormal calcification in any part of body including brain membranes (meninges) occur in response to some inflammation due to a number of possibilities. The seizures she is experiencing may not be due to epileptic fits but due to any other cranial abnormality like meningitis( inflammation of meninges), tuberculous meningitis, Sturge-Weber syndrome (  here the patient may have port wine stains of face, multiple angiomas in leptomeninges  causing blurred vision, seizure, etc.) and meningioangiomatosis (hamartomas tumor like growth of brain capillaries and calcifications) etc.
Epilepsy is a group of neurological problems which is associated with irregular electrical activities of the brain leading to seizures. Calcification of meninges is not a frequent finding of epilepsy.

A neurologist might be taking care of your sister which is the best solution for her treatment. He may conduct EEG and MRI/CT scan of brain to reach to final diagnosis of the cause of seizure and calcification of the meninges. Therefore it is best to consult him to know the details of your sister's health and diagnosis as he has full knowledge of the reports and can clinically examine her.  Hope this was useful to you.