metal plates & screws from cervical fusions
I have two metal plates & eight screws in my neck from cervical fusions in '92, '02 & '04. One of them has now shifted & is pushing the back wall of my throat against the right side of the vocal cords. It is causing dificulty in my talking & a constant feeling of something in my throat, alot of pain & discomfort. Am waiting to hear back from the ENT & the Neurosurgeon that I have just recently spoke to that found this problem, along with the fact that c3/c4 has herniated. How can this be corrected?
Well, they'll replace that screw, first off.  You don't want your vocal cords to get damaged, plus the screws are there for a purpose, to hold everything in place that's been done on your spine.  

As for the herniation, usually just a moderation in activities, anti-inflammatories, and possibly physical therapy will allow it to heal on its own.  If that doesn't help over a period of time, they'll consider surgery... for example if it's pressing on a nerve and causing numbness, pain, or you cannot lay around for it to heal because of your work.  Depending on the surgeon and the proximity of the screw to the herniation, they may just go ahead and fix the hernia.  

Now, the steps for repairing a hernia, I'm not as familiar with, but I do know that sometimes when they remove them, they've got a new kind of replacement disk that works really well, better than the old ones...but last I heard, it was still being tested.  

But now, that screw, if they say take it out, great.  If they say wait and see, I say get a second opinion for sure, because I think that is too risky to leave it like it is.  Could be they can do this operation endoscopically with minimal invasion, but again, I am not certain.  I just know it's gotta come outta there.