Neurology Expert Forum
meylomacila and nausea

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

meylomacila and nausea

I know one of the side effects of meylomacila can be nausea.  My best friend is struggling with this.  Any ideas how to stop or calm down the nausea from this disease?  Will a simple BRAT diet work?  She is also losing weight, and doesn't have that much to lose.
Thank you.
Tags: meylomacilanausea, nausea
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Sorry to hear that your friend is suffering from significant nausea.
Myelomalacia is a relatively non-specific term and means softening of the spinal cord. It is a sequela of any sort of spinal cord injury which can be from trauma, infection, inflammation, infarction etc.

Myelomalacia can cause nausea directly if it is at a high cervical level or the nausea could be coming from the general process which gave rise to the myelomalacia. In any case, there are several medications for nausea like metoclopramide, ondansetron, domperidone, diphenhydramine, etc. However, I would advise having her evaluated by her doctor to prescribe her these, since these medications can have adverse effects or interact with other medications

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck