middle cerebral artery
My husband had a stroke Dec 6, 2007. They tell me that it's cause is that the middle cerebral artery is blocked with plaque. Even though the stroke was large we are blessed that there is no paralysis. We are concerned however that because the blockage is still there that his risk is quite high for another potentially more damaging stroke to occur. He has quit smoking and we have totally changed his diet,( no sodium, low or no fats or saturated or trans fats). They also say it is inoperable but as always, one hears stories from others that they have heard there are specialists, like at UAB that perform these procedures without problems. I just do not know where to go from here. Do we just manage the risk factors and hope for the best? Or do we find someone or several doctors for second opinions.  Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dotty
Hello Dotty.

It is true that the middle cerebral artery in difficult to operate upon, due to its relatively difficult access. But, I would like to quote a reference, an article by Camilo Gomez et al, in American Journal of Neuroradiology (Am J Neuroradiol 21:971–973, May 2000). They have reported a successfully treated middle cerebral artery stenosis using a balloon-expandable flexible coronary stent. Hence, it can not be considered inoperable, at all.

At the same time, one can not say that a particular expert in the field performs the operation absolutely free of complications. The surgery has it's own share of complications. At this point, I can not comment upon the future course of the plaque. But you can have a Neurosurgeon's opinion, a second opinion if felt necessary. He will be able to give you all the option available.

Regards
Thanks, I just found this after posting a frustrated message, Forgive me. I will ask for a referral for a second opinion from him and see if the risks out way just leaving it alone. Dotty