mild diffuse cerebral atrophy
I just had an MRI of the brain (ordered for more pronounced hearing loss in one ear).  The report states that there is mild diffuse cerebral atrophy.  I am a 60 yr old female.  Is that a normal age-related condition or is it being noted on the report because it is worse than expected for someone my age.  Thank you. Crystal
Hi!
Yes, it is possible it is age related. MS, microvascular disease (arteriosclerosis), some types of headaches, Alzhiemer’s disease, and even TBI or traumatic brain injury can cause diffuse cerebral atrophy. Normally it presents as white spots on MRI. It is difficult to differentiate the white spots due to one disease from the white spots due to another. Patient history and other parameters are taken into consideration and co related with the MRI picture. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!