Neurology Expert Forum
mottling of legs
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

mottling of legs

I was recently diagnosed with ms 6 weeks ago. Approximately 2 months before I was diagnosed and a couple of months after my first symptoms I noticed my legs appeared mottled, but were warm to touch and normal sensation. The majority of my symptoms with the ms were balance and sensory problems. I still have the mottling appearance on my legs. I have read that if you have ms lesions that affect your autonomic nervous system you could have this symptom. Neither my neurologist or the physician at the Mayo Clinic could tell me what was wrong. Have you heard of this, or know what could have caused this?
Related Discussions
Dear Terry:

I am sorry to hear about your MS.  MS can give rise to a variety of problems/symptoms.  Each individual is different and the MS is usually expressed different in different people.  Whether your mottling is from you MS is difficult to tell over the internet.  Autonomic changes can happen but during the initial stages of the disease are uncommon.  What your experiencing may not be from the MS.  Mottling is usually due to vascular insufficiency at the level of the skin.  Since MS is a central problem (i.e. brain) the control by the disease over the vascular system is pretty far removed.  It is possible however.  All that can be done is symptomatic relief, which would be to keep the area from extremes of temperature.  As with the majority of symptoms in MS, during the early stages they do get better.  Stay on your medication and hang in there.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, mottling was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank