Neurology Expert Forum
mri , gliosis and mild microvascular disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, i am joy 46 wfm  in the last couple of years i have had 2 mri's they  had another mri done a week or so back i am wondering if you could please explain it in layman tems so i can better understand what it means . they have me set to go into a seizure monitoring center for a week after that they fill they can  correct the problem with surgery {many meds have been tried }  the mri states as follows ........................................................there is no midline shift. ventricles are normal in size and configuration. there is a large developmental venous anomaly in the left temporal lobe. the flair images show several scattered subcortical T2 hyperintensities in both hemispheres. several of these were present on the prior study, others were not seen, however, there are some notable technical differences between the two studdies and i would hesitate to infer that the subcortical T2 hyperintensities were not present earlier. in either case they probably represent areas of gliosis secondary to mild microvascular disease. the hippocampal formations are symmetric in contour and signal intensity. dwi shows no acute findings . thank you so very much for your time and may God bless you for sharing it . signed ,joy
If the report is a correct interpretation of what the scan actually shows (and I have not seen the scan):

Developmental venous anomalies are present from birth, and are formed during the normal formation of the brain. Somtimes they are just picked up incidentally and cause no symptoms and sometimes they cause seizures. They rarely bleed. If not causing problems they are usually left alone. It does not mean that other parts of the brain are abnormal at birth, people live normal and healthy lives.

the areas of gliosis probably are non-specific and do not sound like much to worry about (although I have not seen your scan, I cannot say this for sure). They are very common in the general population and can be caused by conditions such as migraine, high blood pressure, hardening of the small arteries by atherosclerotic disease, or sometimes by old or burnt out MS

all the other findings are normal

Good luck
1 Comment