Neurology Community
mri interpretation question

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

mri interpretation question

I had a mri done last year of my neck. I've tried researching what "partial effacement of the anterior CSF space" means to no avail. Here's my mri report: C5/C6 small central disc bulge. Partial effacement of the anterior CSF space. The disc bulge is asymmetric to the left side of the canal. No significant focal neural impingement. There is mild crowding of the left lateral recess. C6/C7 large left paracentral/lateral recess broad-based disc protrusion with annular tear and small extruded disc material inferior to the broad-based protrusion. This produces moderate left lateral recess stenosis and mild central canal stenosis with contouring of the anterior cord at this level. The extruded disc material extends superiorly approximately 8.0 mm above the level of the disc space and extends inferiorly approximately 7.0 mm below the level of disc space. If anyone can help me, that would be wonderful, thanks in advance!! :)
Effacement is the shortening or thinning of a tissue.  To put all that "stuff" into layman's terms, your cervical spine sounds like a mess.  This particular report addresses C5-C7.  
Are seeing a NS or OS?  This MRI is NOT recent, so, it really does not give a good idea of what is going on now.  
It was taken. May 28th of last year. I've seen worse reports than mine. Thank u for trying to help!:)  I'm seeing a ortho spine surgeon for my lower back.
Thank you for your question. I do sympathize with your health concern. Degeneration of spinal disc occurs as age progresses and this can occur at any level of spine. Therefore, this makes disc more fragile and slight pressure may lead to disc prolapse. As a result of prolapse or injury, nerve impingement may cause intermittent neck pain and this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head (as electric sensation)- LHERMITTES SIGN, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. The pain originates due to degenerative disc disease is usually treated with heat compression, rest, rehabilitative exercises and pain killer medications. In addition, surgical treatment like discectomy, spinal fusion, and spinal laminectomy may be the last resort in most of the non-resolving cases. I would recommend you to see a neurologist who can evaluate the details of your case and could better determine the insight of your situation. Hope this helps.
Thank u anur, I have seen two neurologists, a neurosurgeon, and a ortho spine surgeon. A lot of my questions were not answered to my satisfaction. I have 2 main questions. First, what does it mean "partial effacement of the anterior CSF space". Secondly, what does "contouring of the anterior cord" mean? Thank u much!|
Came upon my thread while browsing and it sent me down memory lane lol
My recent MRI from about 3 weeks ago, It says central canal stenosis C3-C6 with effacement of CSF

Can someone please tell me this means? I have not been able to see a nuerologist as I have no insurance until my medicare begins 5/2013.

I