Neurology Community
mri

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

mri

my mother has resently tried to go for an mri. she could not do this she tried 3 times to no avail. she was give valium which did not help in the slightest any tips please
I am not sure about the MRI, but I am claustrophobic and I had to lie under a gamma camera for 12-15 minutes without moving. The camera is really, really  close to the chest and head and the only way I could do it was to close my eyes and start counting the minutes.
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. I can understand your anxiety related to your mother. An anxiolytic /sedative would help.  There is a technique in current practice called sophrology to combat claustrophobia during MRI scans. It is a relaxation method, where one masters breathing and take stock of body before MRI and learns to control body’s response and stress generated by MRI. If this fails, you will need the help of an anesthesiologist for getting the procedure done under general anesthesia. Hope this helps. Take care.

i had numerous mris as a child, and i actually clawed my way out of more than one - they were so closed up and scary back in the day. find a place that does open mri, theyre much better. but check with your insurance first, i've heard its not always covered.