Neurology Community
muscle fasiculation post discectomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

muscle fasiculation post discectomy

Approximately 5 months after microdiscectomy l5,s1 for ruptured disc, I developed muscle fasiculations in affected leg with muscle cramping. The twitching can be seen below the knee all the time. The muscle cramps occur usually below knee with the foot locked and difficult to place foot flat. This is very painful until I place foot flat. I am awaken from sound sleep and have broken a couple of teeth due to pain and clinching my jaw until I can stop cramp. I had MRI around 8 months post-op-no significant findings. I had EMG  about a year post surgery and showed neuropathy both legs worse on affected leg. I am now 3 years post surgery and continue to have fasiculations and muscle cramps that occur 5-6 times a month. What advise can you offer?
This may not be any help, but have you considered the possibility that the fasiculations and cramp might be coincidental to the discectomy? Even though neuropathy has been demonstrated, there could be other parallel processes at work.
I am an osteopath, but somewhat ironically have a history of back problems myself. I was suffering the identical symptoms to you, though perhaps not quite so bad. I had been taking statins for about four to five years, and during this time had been getting progressively stiffer legs, culminating in the severe cramps and fasiculations. Talking to patients, I realised I was not alone, and about two months ago, after much investigation and thought, I stopped my statins. The symptoms abated within 24-48 hrs, and have not returned.At least two of my patients have had a similar experience.
I must emphasise to everyone reading this - NEVER STOP TAKING PRESCRIPTION DRUGS WITHOUT FIRST CONSULTING YOUR MEDICAL ADVISOR - but this is an avenue to consider, especiallyif you have ruled out everything else, and of course if you are taking statins in the first place! Naturally, if you suffer from severe high choesterol, this would have to be dealt with in some way, and this should take precedence over finding an answer to the cramps.
Don't listen to anyone who advises you to take salt tablets - it won't help.
I have this SAME thing!  I am 10 months post-op.  I had an extruded L5-S1 that resulted in calcified fragments impinging the S1 nerve root.  All I ever experienced prior to sx was sciatica, but little by little I am developing fasiculations, weakness in hip abductors, SEVERE calf cramps, and plantar flexor weakness (primarily gastroc).  I think this is what is causing the calf cramping - the gastroc isn't working as well and the peroneals and posterior tib are taking the brunt of all the plantar flexion.  

So what does this mean?  Is this just typical nerve regeneration?  Do I just continue to focus on strengthening the hips and calves or is there something more serious going on here that I should focus on before it gets worse?  I don't have any pain with any of this (other than the calf cramps).  Any neuro specialist recommendations would be exteremely appreciated!  

And to make this extra tricky - about a month ago I developed this nifty little thing where extending my toes (but not dorsiflexing the ankle) makes my piriformis contract.  If you can figure that out I'd be really interested!  
First L5-S1 discectomy was Nov 2005. No issues until Jan 2012. Right side sciatica pain started again on right side. 2nd discectomy July 2012 3rd August 2012 (31 days later) the sciatica pain during those 31 days had me relegated to one position and any motion cause excruciating pain that would last for 30 to 40 minutes. Breathtaking pain that opioids would not diminish. finally had to be taken in for emergency surgery.

Since the 2nd surgery, my right leg from just below the knee to the foot has been numb. My toes have limited motion and my foot feel swollen but has no physical swelling.

The cramping started about 6 months ago and is now a daily concern. Bananas, potassium and other supplements have not helped. Mineral Ice and ACE Bandages are the best treatment.

I truly feel as though the 2012 surgeon did unnecessary physical damage to my L5-S1 Nerve. Just as you all are, I am looking for any helpful hints on treatments.

I would also like to know what you all are doing to get them to stop. The intensity has continued to grow. The one tonight trying to get off the couch lasted over 3 minutes and I couldn't get it to stop by standing on it. It was so intense my butt cheek was cramping as I tried to reach down to rub it out.

Signed - McCrampy - -   HELP ! ! !