Neurology Community
muscle weakness, numbness, twitching, dizziness, anxiety

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For over the past 9 months I have been suferring from muscle weakness, numbness, twitching, dizziness, and anxiety. Perhaps, it all started when I got headache on the left side. The following morning (at the onset), it was my smallest toe of my right foot was difficult to move. The following morning, all my limbs were weak and painful. I was still able to walk. Two or three days after the onset, I got severe anxiety and dizziness with weakness on my limbs was still bad. After months (around 3 months) the anxiety and dizziness have reduced. The weakness also reduced. But my limbs are still weak until now compared with when I was healthy. I can feel strange things along the way:
1. the muscle is sometimes twitching, in a random area
2. the weakness can move (e.g. from left leg to righ led, or from arm to leg)
3. one of limbs is usually more severe than the others, and it is usually accompanied by pains
4. I can walk, but cannot run
5. the joints (especially the knees) often click. strangely, if the joint on the knee clicks, usually the leg is better than the other one that doesn't click
6. my left part of my body is generally weaker and more numb (however I got headache on the left side at the first time it happened)
7. my heart beat is not normal (either arrythmia or palpitation)

before I got that for the first time, I was smoking a lot, drinking coffee, sitting for quite long in front of computer (I was completing my thesis), and very poor sleeps. Before that happened I was active physically, but then suddenly I changed my lifestyle, which within months maybe had caused it. is it a stroke? diabetic neuropathy? i have so many suspicions in my mind....

Any help or information on this will be really appreciated.... Thanks.
There can be several reasons of your generalized body symptoms although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely your symptoms could be due to injury to a nerve, pressure on spinal or peripheral nerves (neuropathy), vitamin deficiency, lack of blood supply due to blockage in the extremities, viral infection and use of certain medications.  In addition, vessel block can also cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking and they can also reduce blood supply and lead to numbness. Please consult your doctor to get all these possibilities evaluation in your case for further assessment. Hope this helps.
Thank you Dr. Anurag Srivastava for your advice. In addition to the above symptoms, I have a recurring dizziness and lightheaded, which I had them in the early months after the onset and gradually disappearing, but now I feel dizzy and lightheaded again! Moreover, I am now also having a "skipping" heart beat, especially at night. However, I don't feel pain or pressure on my chest.

I am getting worried that I have a tumour in my brain.... But my doctor said that it is a psychosomatic. I am now waiting for a blood test for the following:
1. thyroid (TSHs, FT4)
2. cholesterol total, LDL, HDL, triglyseride
3. electrolytes: K, Na, Cl, Ca-ion
4. blood sugar
5. ureum, creatinin, uric acid

I desperately want to go back to my healthy life,,,,
Hi, Thank you for your question. If you’re all the reports came back normal, your symptoms could be a panic or anxiety disorder that you have faced during last event and currently experiencing. This disorder needs to be thoroughly assessed by a psychiatrist first since this can occur repeatedly and without warning.  Treatments may include psychological and drug treatments, and depend upon extent of severity of symptoms. Hope this helps.