Neurology Expert Forum
muscles shaking, fatigue,weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

muscles shaking, fatigue,weakness

For the past 4 years I have been suffering from from a host of symptoms.I am 48 years old. These symptoms started after a gallbladder surgery. Previous to that I was healthy and active. All the Dr's have said there is no connection. My symptoms include weakness, fatigue, brain fog, difficulty concentrating. My legs and arms shake and jerk. I have a loss of coordination in walking and using my hands and arms. I have difficulty sleeping and the only medication I am taking is ambien. I will say that my GP and nuerologist have been very thorough but no one is able to make a diagnosis. I have had brain and cervical MRI's,a muscle biopsy, several EMG's,a mylogram,a sleep study,blood test for lyme ,thyroid, heavy metals, sojerns, lupus, and many others that I can't remember. The doctors have not been able to find anything leading them to know whats happening. The symptoms have come and gone during these four years but have never totally went away. Within the last year they have really intensified. During these four years I have been told to wait, "if its something serious it will show up".
The cervical MRIs have shown a mild narrowing of the spinal canal but the doctors say it hasn't progreesed. They say they don't think that that is the problem but then again that is the only abnormal finding from any of the test in 4 years.    
I know you can't diagnos on the internet but do you have any thoughts on this or any suggestions for further test.
I agree that your doctors seem to have been very thorough in their evaluation, and you should take heart in the fact that these investigations are normal.

The mild narrowing of the cervical canal is probably an incidental finding and is very common in your age group.

Your symptoms are difficuly to quantify (as opposed to a weak limb or loss of sensation). One way of quantifying things better is Neuropsychology testing - this involves several hours of testing by a psychologist to formally identify problems with memory and cognitive function. Any abnormalities might guide the neurologist towards a different direction.

Good luck
Hello cop,

I am 53.  From 1991 to present, unusual symptoms appear for me as well.  The ones you have mentioned: fatigue, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, involuntary muscle stimulation, loss of coordination, difficulty sleeping.  There is also vision problems, peripheral neuropathy and meniere's symptoms including hearing loss.  Prior to these I had a root canal that did not go well (possible heart infection), and prior to that I ran 1991 NYC marathon in 3:45.  My most limiting condition has been fatigue, but I call it lack of stamina since I never yawn.  This may be a chronic fatigue syndrome that I attribute to an enlarged heart left ventricule.  I think I've seen the best doctors but definitive answers continue to be elusive here as well.  It happens.  

Fred
Very interesting.  I also started getting similar symptoms after my gallbladder surgery.  I have had much of the same work up that you have.  I have constant fasciculations in my legs also.  No one has been able to figure this out.  I have been told too to see a pychiatrist to rule out a biochemical issue, etc.
A related discussion, help was started.