Neurology Community
muscular strength deterioration

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

muscular strength deterioration

What diseases could possibly cause dramatic muscle deterioration in an 81 year old man?  Deterioration started in hands and has progressed to all muscles in body.  No difficulty swallowing or speech.  No twitches.
Muscular Dystrophy comes to mind...simply because it runs in my family.
There are many forms of this degenerative disease. Some come on quite quickly, and don't show up until later in life.
(  I encourage you to join the Muscular Dystrophy Forum for more information on that subject.)

Muscle Stimulation Disorders, Lou Gehrig's, and PostPolio syndrome also come to mind...although with postpolio syndrome , you must have had polio in the past, and the symptoms generally start after a trauma to the spine or with osteoarthritis.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease):
This progressive disorder begins with weakness, often in the hands. Weakness may progress more on one side of the body than on the other and usually proceeds up the arm or leg. Cramps are also common and may occur before the weakness, but no changes in sensation occur. People may lose weight and feel unusually tired.

There may be many possibilities, but these are the ones that come to mind because of the dramatic deterioration.

Let me know if you would like more information on any of the above.