Neurology Expert Forum
my Mom is having some head issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

my Mom is having some head issues

my mom has been to alot of DRs recently. It all started out being vertigo. Now she is stummbling around she says it feels like her feet get stock to the ground sometimes. She says her head feels like theres a wet sponge in her head. She is also very tired all the time, has reslease legs and is just tired of feeling like this.  Us kids are scared because we cant find a dr that give her a straight answer. She missed a couple of days of her reslease leg meds and wasnt as dizzy. please can anyone help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Dizziness can have several meanings (room spinning, imbalance, lightheaded, etc).

If by dizziness you actually mean vertigo (room-spinning), the causes could be either the inner ear or the brain. Inner ear causes of vertigo most commonly include benign positional vertigo (BPPV), which is due to small particle in the inner ear that moves out of place, and can be repositioned with simple head maneuvers. The symptoms often include vertigo that occurs with turning of the head, often while turning over in bed. Another cause, if your mother’s symptoms are associated with tinnitus (ear ringing) and hearing loss is called Meniere’s disease and can be treated with medications and sometimes surgery. And so on, several other causes from inner ear problems exist.

Vertigo can also be due to problems in the brain. The most common is a benign tumor called a schwanoma (also called acoustic neuroma). This is diagnosed by MRI of the brain. Multiple sclerosis can cause vertigo, but often, other symptoms are present as well. A normal MRI of the brain excludes multiple sclerosis. Thyroid problems can also lead to vertigo. Strokes can also present with acute onset of vertigo.

Lightheadedness may be an issue with blood pressure or cardiac, for example.

I would suggest that your mother have an imaging of her brain (preferably an MRI) to determine if there is a brain abnormality causing the dizziness.

It should also be mentioned that some medications used for restless legs (for example gabapentin) have side effects of dizziness and drowsiness. You should have your mother’s medications evaluated for potential sources of adverse effects leading to the symptoms.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.