Neurology Expert Forum
myelogram complications

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

myelogram complications
After 2 failed back surgeries in the L5/S1 area, I was sent to have a CT Myelogram scan. After deadening the area, the doctor struck a nerve root that send piercing pain into my left testicle. He wanted to know ehere I felt the pain and I told him. He then tried again and I felt the same pain, but in my left buttock/ left leg. He was then satisfied he was in the correct general location. Since the procedure, I have had an increase sensation of pain in legs and I have a migrane headache I just can't shake. Is this normal post procedure? Thank You
A persistent headache after a myelogram can occur. It is the type of headache which feels better or stops when you lie down, and increases when you sit or stand. It occurs due to leak of spinal fluid at the site of the myelogram. If you are still experiencing headaches I would recommend contacting your doctor. They may attempt simple bed rest and caffeine first, but you may require what is called a "blood patch". This involves taking blood from your arm, and then injecting it just outside the spinal canal. This is designed to cause inflammation and a clot to stop the spinal fluid leak. I would also discuss the pain symptoms with your doctor. There should not be persistent leg pain from this procedure. Good luck.
I had a myelogram 5 days ago.

I experienced complications such as 1) unable to sit up or stand due to dizzy, spinning  nausa type feeling. 2) ringing in ears accompanied with migrane headache.

Though, the symptoms are slowing getting better, I'm still unable to sit or stand after 5 days. Does this indicate that I have spinal fluid leakage? Or is this just a bad reaction to the myelogram and will go away with time? if so, how long? Will I recover 100%? Does a blood patch work after 48 hours after the original myelogram? Or is it too late? Can the spinal canal continue to leak? Am I in danger?

How long does it take your body to repair itself from a test like this? I'm a healthy, active 43 yr old male.

I had back surgery 3 years ago which damged/bruised, permanatly the nerves, causing me constant pain and burning in my legs and right buttoch.  I take 12 pain pills per day to help eleviate the pain.  I also had a Dorsal Colum Stimulater implanted in my back to help with the pain.  Day to day is a struggle.  I can not go to the zoo, or fairs with my grandchild and daughter unless I am in a wheelchair because I am unable to walk very far due to the horrible leg pain.  They are thinking of doing a myleogram, but after reading your results it makes me reluctant to go throught that.
A related discussion, Alternatives to CT-Myelogram was started.
A related discussion, bad myleogram was started.
A related discussion, meylogram gone bad was started.
A related discussion, myelogram was started.
A related discussion, If I had known... was started.