Neurology Expert Forum
myelomalacia treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

myelomalacia treatment

My father was treated for cervical compression 15 years back by surgery on the back of the neck. Now again, he got weakness in legs (could n't able to walk properly), and in MRI (contrast), it has been noted that all C7 (vertibras) compressed.Nuero surgeon is advising to go for another surgery, but he said there is a risk involved in this( if it is not a success, it may deteriorate further). Given this condition, I want to know what is the better option either to go for surgery (by taking risk) or go for medication (that only prevents further deterioration).

Can myelomalacia can be trated effectively with a sugery? I'm planning to decide for my father surgery after all options evaluated. I appreciate any help in this (as I have to take a decision) and advacnce thanks for your help.

Regards,
Mekavkp.
First keep in mind that I am not able to provide a diagnosis, because I am unable to examine your father, this forum is for eduational purposes only. Myelomalacia means softening of the spinal cord and refers to damage of the spinal cord, in your fathers case from compression by the cervical vetebrae. Once spinal cord has been damaged it does not grow back and recovery is limited by the development of tightening of muscles (spasticity) and withering of muscles (atrophy) due to the injury. Surgery opens the bones to stop further damage from more compression, but it does not repair damage that has been done.  Since your father has worsening symptoms (he cannot walk) and his MRI indicated more compression, surgery is likely your best option to prevent further damage.  However, the risks vs benefits of surgery have to be considered carefully when people are of advanced age, have other severe medical problems or if they do not wish to have surgery. Again, cervical decompression is unlikely to make is condition much better, but can stop the worsening of his symptoms.  Medical options and relieve some of the swelling from the spinal cord with steroids, decrease the tightness of the muscles (spasticity) with medications susch as baclofen and treat pain. The medical options generally work best in conjunction with surgery.  The decision to go to surgery is a personal one to discuss between you, your father and your surgeon.  I wish you the best.
1 Comment
A related discussion, myelomalacia post operation life was started.