Neurology Community
myoclonic spasms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

myoclonic spasms

i have a type of seizure at sleep onset sometimes it might be twitch or jerk of some body part or a zap like shock right in my head and they absolutely prevent me from sleep. for the last number of years i have taken one or two .5 clonazepams and they worked and i slept well , but they have lost their effectiveness and i am desparate and  some times  these spasms will go on all night as soon as i attempt to enter the normal sleep cycle. are there any newer anti seizure type drugs for this disorder . i cant seem to tolerate more than two or even three clonazepams because of side effects. DESPARATE.
Tags: depakene
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

First of all, have you confirmed with a Neurologist, that they are seizures ? Do you have an EEG report ? It would be helpful if you could share it here. Are you conscious when you get the "zap" ? Or do you get some dream alongwith it ?

Regards
i never had an eeg done and i am probably semi conscious and i beleive  there is some dream along with it .i have never seen a neurologist , my regular dr. told me they are probably seizure related.i first got them after taking antidepressant medication maprotyline and doxepin
and ever after any antidepressant even the newer types paxil and effexor made them even worse.  
would the medication kepplar be effective for this condition
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

I am not sure if the medicine you mentioned will work. But I would suggest you ask for an EEG.
At this point, you should also be knowing that there is something called as Hypnogogic hallucinations. These occur at the point of falling asleep. And many times you wake up because of these hallucinations. This is a normal phenomenon.

Regards

the only thing is i dont gret back to sleep once iget these symtoms (symptoms)  it snaps me right out of entering anormal sleep cycle then it sleeping pills there after. if itake clonazepam about two hours prior to sleep and they work iam ok.but i cant seem to tolerate more than two .5 mg ortwo and ahalf'
i also have a urinary problem with difficulty urinating i am currently taking an alpha blocker drug called alfuzosin and idont have an enlarged prostate  what woul it be. about ayear ago i was diagnosed with prostate cancer and have under gone radiation treatment and from all apperances it seem toi have been successful as my psa has gone down from 8 to 1.3  but i still have to take the medication and .and i see my dr every six months to check my psa.
i have sleep onset myoclonus that prevents me from sleeping for the past ten yrs ive been taken clonazepam i am now up to one and a half .5 mgms tablets and they are no longer effective and icant seem to tolerate going higher my dr told me to take 250mgms of depakene but he didnt say anything about stopping the clonazepam and switching to thje other drug or anthing' help .
My MS doctor just diagnosed me with Myoconic spasams, He has scheduled me to be examened by a movement specialist for a possible Botox injection.

During this time between doctor visits can anyone suggest a way of releif such as heat, cold, streching etc..
my email address is ***@****

email address; ***@****
After many tests (including an EEG), incorrect diagnosis, and meds that didn't work they finally diagnosed me with Myoclonic Epilepsy.  This all started in my late 20's.

I am unable to find any information on Myloclonic Epilepsy in adults.

Best wishes,
Lisa
I have started getting these night time spasms. I have been on venlafaxine for anxiety for a week but my doctor says the med is not causing the spasms, they are myoclonic jerks. I must admit I have had the spasms before but very isolated incidents. Now I get them right through the night when I am trying to fall asleep, sometimes just an arm or a leg twitches but the worst ones are when my whole body spasms like an electric shock. This never happens during the day even when I lie down to nap. Naturally my sleep is being ruined and I am exhausted. Hope it settles down.   George.
hello i get a lots of muscle spasms also for now 6 yrs. and in the last two yrs i have tryed just bout everything i dont know what u think of medical marijauina but i found by using this way has made my sleeping habit alot easier to sleep nigght and easier to move during the day times hours also
they make THC pills u take before bed they have worked wonders.
or u should try the Butter to put into ur food.
take care gods blessings too u.
donna white