Neurology Community
myoclonus from spinal stenosis/herniated disk?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, I am wondering if myoclonus (muscle twitching) and myoclonic jerks (involuntary movement of limbs) can be caused by spinal stenosis/herniated disks.  

I have bulging disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1 with some central canal and foraminal stenosis.  Most of my leg symptoms are typical of these spine problems (pain, weakness, tingling, numbness), but I also get frequent myoclonus in my legs, as well as fairly frequent involuntary leg jerks.  The jerks just happen one at a time (i.e., not repetitive), maybe 1-2 times an hour if I'm sitting or laying down. Sometimes my whole leg jerks and sometimes it is just my foot, as if a doctor had tapped my heel with a reflex hammer.

Are my spine problems responsible, or is this something else going on?

Thanks!
Hi there

This is not gonna help you much because I'm gonna say that the myoclonus can be as a result of your spinal problems or it can be as a result of something else. The causes of myoclonus are so wide spread. It can be caused by kidney or liver problems, vitamin or mineral deficiencies, spinal cord or brain trauma, tumours, toxicity from a chemical, hypoxia, as a side effect of medication and also as a result of infections and diseases.

You'll have to speak to your doctor about it. Maybe you can ask him to run some blood tests (CBC, liver and kidney function, vitamin B12 and magnesium levels, ANA) or maybe even an EMG on the affected muscles to see if maybe those muscles are "damaged" so to speak.

Take care
Hello , i just wanted to say that i have the same question as you . Lately i have noticed that i am having Myoclonus , more frequently . I have it in my legs . Sometimes it's when most people get them , shortly after i lay down and start falling asleep but i also get them laying on my couch or sitting in a chair . And it's because i have noticed it occuring when i'm not in bed and that it seems to be happening more frequently , why i have began to question why it's happening . You see I to have some herniated discs . L4 , L5 and S1 . I also have Degenerative Disc Disease and Arthritus  pretty bad in my back . So i have been wondering if they are connected as well . I noticed that your post was in 2011 and i was wondering if you ever found anything out about why you are having them and is it connected to your herniated discs . If you have any more information i would greatly appreciate anything you can share and thank you for your time .
Did you ever find out what was causing your Myoclonic Jerks?  I also have DDD in back, Arthritis and L5/S1 is now gone.  L3 and L4 are bulged also.  I just had Titanium Rod put in this July and have now developed severe Myoclonic Jerks Rod and screws.  And was also told it could be toxic medication levels.