Neurology Community
neck, gland & face pain, eye won't open, arm numb?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My mom has a pain which started with her neck hurting on the right side. Then glands on both side of the neck hurt.  The pain moved up the right side of her face.  On several mornings when she awoke, her right eye didn't want to open.  She thought it might be crusty, but it wasn't, it just didn't want to open.  (She suffers from dry eyes but said that her eye wasn't dry on these mornings.)  She also states that if she presses on her right arm, it will go numb.
Her doctor did x-rays of her throat last week and said the x-ray shows some arthritis in her neck.  She is to call the doctor back if the symptoms don't go away in a couple of months.  My mom is not a hypocondriac.  This pain has been going on for 4 months and she didn't tell any of us.  Only after I asked about her annual physical did she tell me the doctor had ordered the x-ray because of her pain.  Now that the doctor found nothing, she will never bring it up again because "there is nothing they can do about it."
Oh,  she also has burning in her throat and had surgery on a hiatal hernia in January.  I believe the throat burning is unrelated to the other symptoms but thought I would throw it in there just in case!
Does anyone have any idea what it might be or what tests should be done next and by what type of doctor?  Thanks!