Neurology Expert Forum
neck, left shoulder and arm pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

neck, left shoulder and arm pain

I've been having alot of neck, shoulder and arm pain.  My doctor ordered an MRI and the report showed bulging annulus c6-c7 but no focal disc protrusions, mild posterior lateral spurring on the right at c5-c6 with a slight thecal sac encroachment.  What does this mean?  Will this get better on it's own?  I have severe pain that travels down my left arm so bad I can't even use my arm.  It's worse when I first get out of bed in the mornings.  Is this going to require surgery?  If it will get better on it's own, how long will it take before the pain is tollerable?  Thankyou, Rhonda
Dear Rhonda:

Sorry about your pain.  I am not sure what to tell you.  Most of the time slight disc buldging has no effect.  The spurring, which can cause problems but yours is on the side of your body that gives you no problems.  So the question remains why the pain.  Did your neurologist indicate that your neurological exam was completely normal?  Do you have diabetes, vasculities, vitamin B12 or folate deficiency, drink alot of alcohol, osteoarthritis, etc?  Does the pain come and go, or is it the same every day?  Are there specific areas in your shoulder and arm that hurt more than others?  Where in your hand, which fingers hurt?  How did the pain start?  What is your age?  Any medical problems other than your pain?

Pain medication might help but you need to find the etiology of the pain.  If you haven't seen a neurologist then I would make an appointment to see one.

Let me know the answers to my questions and I will get back to you.
Dear Rhonda,

I also had c 5-6 herniation and a couple of large pieces of disc
which had broken off and were hitting the spinal cord, this was
2 years ago.  I ended up, because the pain was so severe,
being operated on in Sept of 97 which helped that particular problem but i still have several herniations and many bone spurs,
arthritis and degenerative disc disease.  The doctors had to be
convinced of my pain...see a couple of doctors neurosurgeons etc
and ask many questions.  I still have much pain -but if i knew
then what i know now..maybe i would have made other choices.
Feel free honey to e me at ***@**** if you need someone
to talk to..and in the meantime offer up the pain for the conversion of sinners.

jo-ann
Thanks for your comments.

CCF Neuro MD
I am having somewhat the same symptoms.  My Dr. said that it was a C5 protrusion and that a lot of times this goes away by itself.  My left thumb is numb and there are days that I can not lift or use my left arm.  Some days the pain is too much to bear too.  And it is always more painful when I lay down and when I wake up in the morning.  I am going to try doing some arm and neck exercises since I don't know what else to do at this point.  I will let you know if this helps and if you find something that helps, please let me know. ***@**** Thank you!
Dear Randa:

Sorry about your pain.  I am assuming that you had a MRI and that showed disc protrusion.  Was there thecal sac compromise, neural foramen changes, cord compression????  Depending on the etiology, such as arthritis, collagen vascular diseases, etc the treatment might vary depending on the MRI and neurological exam findings.  I would speak to your neurologist and see what your options are depending on the MRI findings and your medical history.  You may only need life style changes and rehab with a little medication to help you through the pain while rehabing.  Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Dear Rhonda,
I am 40 years old and I was kind of in your spot in 1993. The more doctors I saw, the worse things got. I ended up with 2 carpel tunnel surgeries, one of which became infected during surgery with fecal matter bacteria, then I was diagnosed with a rare bone disease in my right arm called keinbock's disease which required 2 surgeries and a year in a cast, then I was diagnosed with myofacial pain, then finally a ruptured disk at c4-5 which I had anterior cervical fusion surgery where now instead of a disk I have a bone with a metal plate and 4 screws. Oh, I forgot about the fibromyalgia diagnosis.
What my point is, is that sometimes the cure is worse than the problem. I still suffer debilitating pain and am unable to work.IF you have degeneratative disk disease, there's no stopping it other than lifestyle changes. Don't lift ANYTHING over 30 pounds and be really careful with any kind of sports or impact activities. Unless you can't move, I wouldn't suggest any disk fusion surgeries because the remaining disks just wear out faster. Just be careful and forget about some doctor or some surgery making you feel like you did before. Sorry to be so negative but think really hard before you submit to surgery. Good luck.  Susan
Thanks for your comments.

CCF Neuro MD
I have been experiencing severe pain in my left shoulder, scapula, elbow, wrist and numbness in my left thumb.  Sometimes I feel pain in my neck and lower back.  The bursea below my shoulder and elbow are quite inflamed. I believe this started when I was digging a hole to plant a shrub.  I have been under some stress lately and feel this has contributed to the problem.
I have been treated several times by a chiropractor and also a massage therapist. I did get some relief but there are times when the pain flares up and is almost intolerable.  I have been trying ibuprofen, tylenol pm, and a generic form of flexoral but nothing seems to give much relief.  I haven't been able to sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time before the pain has me pacing the floor again. I have a problem with taking strong medication such as morphine or demoral.  My real concern is, will there be permanent damage to my tissue because of the numbness?  I assume there is a ischemic condition. Also, how long does it ususlly take for the nerve to heal after being constricted?  This problem has been going on for about 3 weeks now.  I am currently attending school for massage therapy and wonder if this will affect my ability to be a massage therapist.  Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thank You
Dear Linda:

I would see a neurologist and have things looked at.  It may be that you have a spinal problem.  But, this will be unknown unless a thorough exam is initially done.

I hope you find out the source of your problems.

CCF Neuro MD
I am a nurse that has had a injury to neck & shoulder have pain in neck r side which goes down my R arm,  i have periods of dizzy feeling and at time feel that i need to hold on to somethings. Its wakes me up out of a sleep, it come into my dreams & wakes me
its not getting any better have seen nurologious X3 they think I depress but i know I'm not this has only happen since my injury
nearly 6 months ago . Pain is the main problem with the dizzness
hope you can help  with some suggestions
Dear "toctoole"

It is rather difficult to tell you what you may have as I have not examined you or seen your workup.  I am assuming that the MRI of your C-spine was normal.  The neurological exam must also be perfectly normal with no weakness or sensory level.  The radiating pain suggest some sort of radiculopathy.  I assume that your trauma was minor and that you had no head trauma or lost consciousness.  Since your EMG must of have been normal, there is likely not a brachial plexus injury, no cervical spinal damage, no neuropathy, etc.  Sorry, but I am at a loss to suggest anything else.  If the dizziness is vertigo and there is a negative Hillpike-Dix then the problem is central but a positive sign would be peripheral and suggest some inner ear problem.  The normal MRI and EMG however, would suggest that the etiology of your pain is something other than peripheral or central.  This might suggest that your pain might be functional.  However, until you rule out all other causes I would not jump to that conclusion.  You may want a second (in your case fourth)opinion and have all the films, EMG, blood work etc gone over by fresh eyes.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I am told that there is an improved MRI exam available which is especially designed to locate nerve damage, compression,etc. If so, where would this machine be found?
Dear Jeffco:

If you find a new type of MRI that defines nerve compression or damage let us know.  The only refinements are in selecting the spin times, time to echo, relaxation times and tensla power.  There are things that have been around a few years to note metabolic features of cells but this is old technology.  

CCF Neuro MD
Linda,
Sounds like you might have a rotator cuff tear or other injury to that area.  My suggestion would be to see and Orthopedic Suregeon that specializes in shoulder injury.
Often a person can have "referred pain", meaning the pain is being directed to other areas of you body.

Especially, since you were digging at the time, I would have the shoulder checked out.
thanks for the comment.

CCF Neuro MD
I have a question in regards to mild twitching(1-5) per minute in the legs(various locations),  buttocks,  tricep area , cheek bone area and sometimes in the small of the back.  I also have what seems to be a muscular type pulling sensation in my hands(palms), feet(bottom near tendon to big toe area and around ball of big toe) and back of legs. Twitching seems to occur mostly while sitting or laying. Twitches are quick in nature sometimes length of tendon in thigh and sometimes very small area & not always visible to the eye.  What can be causing all of this and should I be worried? I am currently very stressed over the whole ordeal and feel something is terribly wrong.  An emg is scheduled,  although the nuero surgeon says there is nothing to worry about.   What can an emg determine?  I am 30yrs. old fairly muscular and have a degenerative back.  Is there need to worry about als?
I have a feeling of tightness in my left arm, when I get stressed it hurts worse.  I often feel a pain that radiates from my pinky to my neck and my arm gets real cold.  After the pain it feels  cold and tingly. After I excercise I also get this problem where my left arm gets real cold.  I have been having heart palpatations and  lots of dizzy spells,shakiness in both hands and legs, nausea,headaches,fatigue, and a pain in my mid upper back.

I have talked to my doctor but he tells me I am too young for any heart problems. My brother had a heart attack when he was 31,   My father too has a history of heart problems as well as diabetes.  I had a stress test 12 years ago that showed Mitral Valve prolapse, along with an abnormal EKG's.  Now my EKG's are normal therefore my doctor refuses to refer me anywhere or do additional testing.  Could this be a normal feeling or should I try and get more testing done???  

I am 35 years of age.
Dear Eva:

I would think that some simple tests such as a sedimentation rate, CBC, etc might halp in clarification of your problem.  It is very unusual for parasthesias to travel up the arm, the vast majority of peripheral nerve problems that induce parasthesia travel down the arm.  I would just sit down with your family physician and see what he/she thinks.

CCF Neuro MD
I recently had X-Rays of my neck and spine and an MRI of my back due to neck and back pain.  The results were disturbing:
1)Osteoporosis  2) straightening of the cervical and lumbar spine, and  3) degenerative arthritis and degnerative disc disease with prominent bone spurs. I cannot understand why I have osteoporosis because I have been on estrogen therapy for over ten years, exercise moderately,drink plenty of milk and take a daily multi-vitamin supplement.  Additionally, I had a bone density test in June of '98 and was told that I had "the bones of a thirty-year-old."  I teach and have to lug heavy books around all day.  Plus I must strain my neck by looking down to grade papers for hours on end.  Needless to say, I am in constant pain, but do not want to have to take addicting painkillers.  What can I do?My small-town doctor has chosen to treat me with large doses of steriod/cortisone shots (which will make my "already remarkable" cataracts mature earlier than had been expected) and pain management (i.e. sedatives and Tylox #3).  Should I seek the advice of a larger-town specialist, and if so, what kind--a neurologist, orthopaedist, or rheumatologist?  I need help and quickly!
Dear Carolyn:

Sorry to hear about your pain.  Most of our bone density, if not all of it, occurs in our formative years, childhood through our teen-age years.  After this time we are just trying to maintain our bone density.  The fact that you have been doing so much that last ten years is great, but it was after the fact.  Using pain medications does not treat the etiology.  You are doing your best, and that is very good.  I think I would seek better rehab for your condition.  There are things that you can do, such as exercises, learning better techniques for lifting, etc.  Second, if you have lost bone density in other bones, then maybe medications for osteoporosis and arthritis might be helpful. I would seek both of these.  See a neurologist and rehab specialist.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I was recently in a bad auto accident and as a result have a badly bulging disc at C6-7, torn rotator cuff and damaged ulnar nerve both in my right arm. Ihave numbness and tingling in the last fingers of my right hand, burning snesations inthe elbow and have already lost some mobility in the shoulder. I am also having difficulty is grasping small objects with right hand. Ihave had an MRI and an EMG but showing significant damages. My neurologist has sugggested delaying cervical surgery for a while to see if the bulge will receed on its own. He is extremely concerned about the ulnar nerve and shoulder. I have been put on Neurontin and am now in week 3 of the medication. So far it seems to be having an impact on the headaches and the elbow pain but nothing on the shoulder. I recentlyread inthis column that Neurontin is a psychiatric medication with the odd properties of having significant impact on neurologic injuies. My question is this...could the Neurontin have any effect on my PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) whose source is domestic abuse?
Dear Judy:

Neurontin is not a psychiatric medication.  It is an epilepsy medication that also had effects on neuropathic pain.  It has been used as a pain medication for headache.  There may be other uses but these are only small studies and haven't been proven in large blinded studies.  I would not think there is much data for neurontin for post traumatic syndrome.  However, I do not treat post traumatic syndrome and small studies would not be known to me.

CCF Neuro MD
Dear Doctor,
For approximately 3 years now I have been suffering from chronic upper back pain with headaches, neck pain and left arm tingling.  The upper back pain being the worst of it.  It took pulling teeth but an MRI was finally done on my lumbar, thoracic, and cervical spine.  Pre MRI xrays were done as well.  The findings showed mild C5-6 and C6-7 neural foraminal stenosis possibly secondary to mild bony overgrowth of the associated uncovertebral joints.  Lumbar rotoscoliosis, spondylosis, degenerative disk disease, posterior herniation of disc at L1-2 with mild central canal stenosis and effacement of the ventral aspect of the thecal sac.  Thoracic degenerative disc disease and spondylosis with wedging of T7-10, prominent posterolateral left herniation of disc material at T6-9 with effacement of the ventral lateral left aspect of the spinal cord.  I was also told I have Lhermitte's phenomenon per my neurosurgeon.
   My symptoms include mild pain in the mid thoracic region which increases to severe and intolerable after sitting for periods of time over 1-2 hours.  This includes muscle spasms in the left scapular area radiating up into the left side of neck, jaw and face, then down the left arm and into my little finger and ring finger.  In these areas I also have sensations of burning, coldness, tingling, sharp piercing shocks, and sensations of needles. I also have weakness in my left arm when I try to lift objects such as a book or coffee cup.  The symptoms range in severity and come and go depending on what I'm doing.  There is loss of range of motion in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar regions.  Driving and sitting greatly increase the pain, laying down alleviates the pain.  I was also told that I have straightening of the lumbar lordosis and kyphosis of the thoracic spine.  
   I have been through numerous physical therapy treatments, use of the TENS unit, 3 steroid epidural injections (without lasting relief), muscle relaxors, pain medication and paxil and prozac.  At this point I have found no "cure" for my back pain.  It has resulted in the loss of my job and has reduced the quality of my life.  The pain wakes me up at night and I now take Ambien to help me sleep.  Sometimes the pain is bad enough that it feels like I have a tight band around my chest and taking a breath of air causes shooting pain clear to my middle back.  It all starts in about a fist-sized area in the middle of the spine in the thoracic spine.  None of my physicians have been able to offer me any help for pain relief involving the thoracic spine.  It seems as though this is an area that is lacking in information.  They are more than willing to look at the herniated disc in the lumbar area-but it doesn't bother me!  The solution has been just to exercise and learn to live with the pain.  I do not agree.  Is there any approaches to finding help on this that I have not already done?  With surgery being a last resort effort, would it help?  As my posture has become terrible with leaning forward, slumped forward rotating shoulders, and neck held forward.  I attempted to practice good posture but the more I sit up straight the worse the pain and burning in the back becomes.  I respect my physicians but they tell me there just simply is nothing that can be done for problems of the thoracic spine.  I have to believe that that is not the case and if I do enough digging I will find something.  As evident by this web site there is more than just me who has thoracic spine problems.  I also remember hearing about a device that can be implanted in the back that delivers morphine to a pin-point site and does not have the usual side effects or dependancy.  Have you heard of this?  If so where would one find out more information on the subject?  I have had to make drastic changes to my lifestyle to cope with the pain.  I desparetly need a job but I know that I cannot do the work I spent so much time and money on educating myself in.  Not in this condition.  Not with living with chronic pain day in and day out.  I am increasingly becoming more fatigued but refuse to give up the fight to find relief.  I know there are physicians who specialize in thoracic spine disorders-just don't try to find one in Colorado!
Do you think a CT myelogram would show anything that might be being missed?  I am currently off all the meds except an occasional pain pill and the Ambien to help me sleep.  I have been told that I am not a surgical candidate because I am overweight and I smoke (I'm working on both these issues). Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Hope is a wonderfully powerful tool.  God Bless You
CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE TREATMENT WOULD BE FOR CERVICAL SPINAL STENOSIS OTHER THAN SURGERY? THE PAIN IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE NECK AND INTO THE SHOULDER. I ALSO HAVE LOWER BACK PAIN AND SUFFER FROM SCATICA IN THE LEFT HIP.ARE THERE ANY EXERSISES OR SOME TYPE OF THERAPY?I AM A 64 YEAR OLD FEMALE.
PLEASE CONTACT ME AT ***@**** THANKS VERY MUCH
I'm a 37 year old male, whose condition started as far back as late 1998, and became acute in Feb 2000. The first week or 2 the pain down my right arm and scapula was excruciating. I was given a Medrol DosePak, Collar and told to Ice the area, which gradually helped.

In successive weeks the pain has gotten better, and the numbness in the middle and index finger have also become less, although they are still there. My main problem now is muscle weakness and atropy, in the Chest(pectoral), Tricep, and shoulder area,

I've had an MRI and Cervical Myelogram done.  Which confirm the rupture at C6-C7, bone spurs and discs bulging at higher levels.

I've been to 2 neurosurgeons in the past month, both believe I should have surgery to correct the deficit, Both surgeons said that either procedure would work, The first surgeon decided to go with a "Posterior Cervical Laminectomy", But I'm concerned about the procedure that was recommended (Posterior) vs (Anterior) and the dangers, as well as future stability of the spine with the posterior procedure.

I am scheduled to undergo the procedure April 18th. and am wondering if I should postpone, and see if I can live with a little pain vs. uncertainty.

Can you shed some light on this?
Thanks.

This past month, I have been experiencing a panic disorder.  I had tingling in my fingers and tingling on my legs.  I also have Mitral valve prolapse.  My doctor put me on lorazepam which has helped the panic, but I am experiencing slight burning sensations on my lower arm and supersensitivity in my upper arm as though something is wrapped around it.  Though I don't have any muscle weakness, it's more of a discomfort.  I do have a slight b12 deficiency.  What do you think there's a connection.
After many time since 1984 hurting my neck down the left shoulder and arm to numbness in the finger in my left hand, I finally went to have an MRI last June.
I had hurt my self at work, after having to take two weeks off of work, I went back to work to soon. I had to go back on leave the following week.
The MRI results I have to herniated disks c5-c6 and c7-t1.
After all this time I get pain in my neck and left shoulder, to numbness all the way down my left arm and fingers. Just in the last few weeks to a month I have been getting numbness in my right arm and fingers though no real pain in my right shoulder. I am also having weekness in my shoulders, like I can not keep my arms up to long to do anything before I have to put them down again. I have done physical therapy, steroids in my muscle neither helped nor worked. I only seem to have two options left a shot in my spine or surgery neither of which sound appealing.
My Question is after all this time of having my problems on my left shoulder down my left arm can this problem start spreading also to my right arm and shoulder so that I have this on both shoulders and arms.
Thank You
Gin White

My Question is after all this time of having my problems on my left shoulder down my left arm can this problem start spreading also to my right arm and shoulder so that I have this on both shoulders and arms. My neck also cracks, What causes this? sometimes I try to have my neck crack on purpose could this cause more problems with my hernitated disks. Sometimes it actually feels good to have my neck crack.
Thank You
Gin White

How do mucles work.
I don't have a reply, because I just don't know where to go to find detailed and accurate answers.  These are my concerns.  My wife woke up one morning and felt pain in her neck, on a wednesday, by the next wednesday she had pain in her shoulders and pain shooting down her left arm, when this would happen the left hand and fingers would go numb for a few minutes, by friday she was crying when ever she was awake with pain and the symtoms (symptoms) had spread to her right arm pain and numbness, and right side of her face, and worse than migraine headaches,(comparing to having ten kids at once).  The only relief she got was drug induced sleep.  On that friday the doctor put her in the hospital for pain management, on sunday she had an MRI done and reveiled a ruptured Cervical 5and6 disks.  She has an appointment with a neurosurgeon on thursday,(a very good one from everyone I trust told me), but I still want all the options I can look at I can get.  So if anyone out there has some detailed and accurate info. they can pass on I would greatly appriciate it.  Results from disk removal surgery, VS. drug and physical therapy, and long term affects of different treatments, pain management long term, ability of movement of the neck after surgery. anything 10/2/00
If I could just add something to this board for any visitors who are considering surgery. I was 40 year old when I had anterior diskectomy and fusion at c6/c7. (bone plug from hip.)

I had suffered years (about 5) of severe dibilitating pain of vary degrees over those years. About 3 times a year this pain would put me in bed. Almost unable to move because of it. It was only when I lost the feeling in my right arm my GP sent me to a neuro surgeon, after a MRI scan my problem was revealed.(Prolapsed disk at c6/c7 resting nicely in spinal canal)

By this time my tricep in my right arm had disapeared, my bicep was down to 2/3rds its size.
I was taking pain killers like a child eats sweets.

I had the surgery 5 weeks after diagnosis, (I had never had surgery or been in hospital before) First thing I noticed when I woke was I could feel my arm again. Its now approaching 3 years since my surgery. I no longer take pain killers, my right arm muscles have returned. I still suffer pins/needles down my right arm into my hand, my right thigh is numb since the surgery. I have never (fingers crossed) suffered any attacks of pain that put me to bed. I will swop my dead thigh from the surgery for my relative change in condition since the op.

The Neuro shook my hand when I was discharged from his surgery and said I was a success story. He thought he pins/needles, dead thigh would never go away. I will settle for that.

All I am saying that if the conditions are right (I was checked for arthritis and free at that stage) the surgery can work for you. I know how it is to suffer pain day in, day out with no respite. A close friend has O.A. and multi level disk desease, she has had 2 operations to remove disk from her neck, her condition gets worse. I feel for her, and her family.

But surgery can and does work in some cases. I hope you are one of those cases.

Just wanted to put my twopence worth in, a positive view from a former sufferer, to anyone considering surgery out in the big wide world.

mailto:***@****

I also have a herniated disc and bone spurs at c6 c7.  I have had this since a car accident in 1990 . During the last year I have had continual Blinding Headache's pain and numbness in left shoulder and arm and if i take a deep breath can feel it in the left shoulder.
Many ortopedic docs told me to rest it would get better they suggested cortisone shots, last month i went to see dr martin jones at health south in Birmingham he did a open mri which reveald the herniated disc and spurs. I am having surgery Jan 2,01 and am so relieved that he found it. This guy is sharp and good . I will let you know the outcome. Go see a spine specialist and bring your mri no need to suffer in the year 2000!!
good luck
I had shoulder surgery for bone spurs on my right shoulder 3 weeks ago. The pain the first day was unbearable but I did make it with lots of pain killers. The next day the pain subsided tremendously. Thank God. I go to PT 3 times a week and the progress is very slow. The pain is bad at night and first thing in the morning. I am off the Vicodin for three days and can't get any decent sleep. All other over the counter drugs don't work. I suggest researching PT or alternative to surgery until you are absolutely positive you have tried everything possible. I thought I did but now I'm wondering if PT alone would have done he job. I'm sorta down on the surgery but won't know for a few weeks if I made the right decision. Good luck to you and I hope you make the right decision. Scott
I pull metal from a press for over 5 years having to turn my neck to the right to reach the metal that was so short and stand on my toe to get to it, i went to work and everthing was fine but that night i got out of the tub and couln't use my left arm at all i've have every test done that could be done now i;m being told that i have some bone spurs on c5 and c6 that run down my left arm and the shoulder pain is so bad i can't use me left arm i was told that the nervr on the left lattary was damage so i need to know if there is any thing that can be done so i can work with out pain i have to take pain medican ever day so i can work now and i;m having nerve block to help bloce the pain but i know i can't keep taking them for ever the doc. are telling me that this is work related i've not been hurt in any way so if you can help me to understand this please e;mail me at ***@**** can this kind of thing just happen over night or was it there ready to happen
Dear. Dr hi my name is mika I'm 32 I deal with pain in my neck left upper arm an forearms an lower back an the same on my right side the pain is so bad I keep a headache I thought I was having. A heart attack I had many test ekg blood work they can't found were the pain coming from I was even admitted in the hospital for a night still nothing so can you please help me
A related discussion, Neck, L shoulder and arm pain was started.
Dear DR., I am a 21 year old female.  i am currently in the military and noticed when i was in basic about 3 years ago and started having some slight pain in my left side of the neck, that moved down to my shoulder blade, and now is moving down to my elbow.  i never thought anything to much about it. i am R side dominant.  i can not sleep on the left side and when i lie down it has to be on my stomach and hurts to raise my arms to lay my head on them.  i have recently started going to a chiropractor to see if it will help.  he told me to get an xray and possibly an MRI.  i have a few other back and hip pains he wants to check on.  so as of right now i have no idea what is wrong with me. the Chiro said that my lower lumbar region is too curved and the my neck is too straight.  i do not know if that has anything to do with it.  does anyone have an idea of what it may be???
also i forgot to mention that i can not sleep with pillows. i have to lie flat in order to fall asleep.  when i sleep with a pillow i have a strong pull feeling.  imagine that you have a crick in your neck, and when you try to turn or bend your neck all the way down or to the side, that really sharp pain you get.  imagine that 24/7 and sometimes amplified if i raise my arm the right way or lay down the right way or just turn my head.  it is becoming unbearable, to the point that i will do what ever it takes to fix it.  i am not afraid of surgeries,  i had to have my knee pretty much reconnected after a sports injury.  i just want to know or have an idea of what to expect when i go to  the doctor.
A related discussion, severe pain in left shoulder and arm was started.
Hello for about 2 years, I have been experiencing pain. I have bulging disc to my c-4/c-5. My doctor told me that its pinching my nerves cause I would have pain to my neck, shoulder, arm and fingers. My left side would become very cold, it tingles, burns, and pain would be very sharp. I was in a motor vehicle accident 2 years prior so my doctor doesn't think that cause the bulging. He then referred me to physical therapy and that helped lot. Just this past november I was in a bus accident and it bulged again but this time tore it as well so the neck pain is more severe. This time the pain is my entire neck all around, and the arm pain is still there, numbness, tingling, burning, coldness. Over the two years things have become worse, it is now of my entire body, including the nerve pain with is all through my entire body as well, I also have complete spinal pain, it burns and tingles up and down. I have seen a neurologist and was told I didn't need surgery( eventhoufh it'd torn, and my pain is more servere now), she also said that the pains I have to my left side, mny entire body, or the rest of my spine is not associated with the bulging disc, and that I may experience more pain....please help me and tell me what is best. I didn't agree with what was said. Thank you.
A related discussion, Leftside of neck, shoulder pain and left arm tingling was started.
A related discussion, left shoulder pain + arm pain + tingles in my finers was started.
A related discussion, right and left ulnar damage due to injury was started.
A related discussion, Case of lead poisoning? was started.