Neurology Expert Forum
neck contraction and insomnia-vertigo ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

neck contraction and insomnia-vertigo ?

Is was on the forum already but saw the article about neck problems.
  I am very stressed, anxious and my neck muscles are very tensed.
  I have history of complex migraine (without noticeable headaches) and cervical arthrosis(worn out neck disks) and am on propanolor, hydergine and lorazepam'(lexotan)/
  Lately I have severe insomnia problems. I have to sleep on my back and the slightest head movement makes me dizzy. I can't sleep on either sides without having weird feelings of disorientation-vertigo.
  I had CT scan en carotid doppler: both negative. Blood work is ok apart from too high ferritine level.
  I am 52 yr old male and very worried.
  Could neck muscles be the cause as vertigo does not disappear in a few minutes as it should with bppv.??
  My left side is the bad side and sometimes feels numb after awaking but the numbness goes away after minutes. Also have tinnitus in both ears and fullness but more at left side; there is no hearing loss however.
  Thanks for eventual answer.
=
I hope it isn't too late for this answer. Dizziness and lightheadedness are quite difficult to figure out, and can originate from many parts of the brain and be due to many different pathologic processes. Vertigo (the actual sensation of movement or spinning) is a bit more restricted - usuaally it arises from the brainstem or inner ear vestibular system, though there are still many causes at those sites.
Much of what you report sounds like BPPV, though your comment suggests you have been evaluated and they said you didn't have it. For diagnosis, I would systematically evaluate peripheral (inner ear) versus central (brainstem) localization. For you, that means first seeing an otolaryngologist (ENT doctor). They can advise you about BPPV, viral inner ear infections, Meniere disease, etc, based on careful interview and examination, and sometimes specialized tests (vestibular function tests, or electronystagmograms). If the ENT doctor tells you it is not inner ear, you can then go see a neurologist.
If you live near cleveland (or if you are willing and able to travel here), you may see one of our neurologists. I would specifically recommend Dr Jonathan Oas, who is a neurologist who specializes in vestibular system diseases.
I doubt that muscles per se would contribute to vertigo symptoms. They certainly can cause their own problems (headaches are a common symptom), but vertigo isn't one that I have run across.
I'm not convinced a CT of the brain is very helpful here. The region of the brain which processes vestibular signals is the brainstem, which is not well visualized on CT. MRI is better, but you can only expect it to show things like strokes, which are NOT the most common cause of central vertigo.
Vertigo is unpleasant, and can cause anxiety. I have even seen people develop phobias after a bout of viral inner ear infection, it was so bad (though certainly not life threatening). On the other hand, anxiety can cause dizziness, lightheadedness, and even vertigo. You can see where this would become a vicious cycle.
Don't neglect treatment of your anxiety, either by talking it out with close friends or family or clergy, or psychotherapist, or perhaps even a psychiatrist if it seems you need medications.
I hope this helps. My apologies for the delay. CCF MD mdf.