Neurology Expert Forum
neck pain / lump when swallowing / hand tingling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Experienced yesterday what felt like a pulled set of muscle(s) starting at base of skull on back left side of neck.  Also muscle running down left side of neck as well as down front of neck (to the left of throat) down to collar bone.  Pain was not too bad except for front of throat.  

Today the strain feels better (although I still can feel it), but started feeling symptoms last night that have continued to today.  Two things:

1) When I position my head slightly to the left and down and then swallow (especially a dry swallow) I feel what I can only describe as a tendon/muscle being pushed out of the way and then 'snapping back' quickly.  The feeling is to the immediate left of my throat (about 2" below my jaw line) and it feels like it's right next to (or part of) what feels like the left upper side of my trachea (throat cartiledge?).  Maybe it's a lymph node.  I don't really know.  It doesn't really hurt, it's just uncomfortable.

2) I've also got some tingling in my left hand.  It's not severe, just enough to annoy me.  Sometimes I don't even notice it, but sometimes I do.

I've read some stuff on the net and am a little freaked out about what this could be.

Any ideas?
It is difficult based on your description to come up with a precise problem. I would recommend you contacting your primary doctor for evaluation this week. He/she can examine your neck and determine if there is a mass within in it. They can also look at your hand and try and dermine if a particular nerve is involved. I wish I could be of more assistance. Good luck.
If there are no lumps evident, it's very possibly a pinched nerve.  Hand tingling can be the result of a pinched nerve or stress.  If it persists, see a doctor.  Don't self-diagnose and you can't be diagnosed on the net.  People read about symptoms of this and that on the net, apply the worst case scenario to themselves and then freak.  Be selective and logical about the information you read on the net.  I am continually amazed how people are convinced they have these fatal and rare diseases by reading postings rather than consulting a doctor.
Tomy you are right about reading things on the net. I too am now getting freaked out thinking the very worst.  Last night I tossed and turned and dreamt all sorts of things.

My sysmptoms are very much like the above but worse.  Mine started after moving into this house and having a virus.  From one very active grandma doing most of the packing and fighting a virus that even went into the salvilary glands,  I literally fell apart one week after moving in this house.  My tingling and weakness is now all over the body.  Seeing an Internist 2 weeks into this mess was basically of no help as he thought it was "post traumatic stress syndrome".  He had me totally convinced I was losing it!

After another 3 wasted weeks of thinking I was nutts, per the Internist, I asked for the C-spine plain x-ray report which does show narrowed disc with foramina at the Lft C 5-6 level.
This doc did not want me to see the report.  

With films in hand, hubby is taking me to see an Orthopedic Spinal man next week but at the same time, I do not think the Cervical is all of my problems.  I feel the virus I had went into the muscles/nerves somehow and has caused symptoms also.

I demanded more blood work Thursday, like Sed Rate, C-Reactive protein, Thyroid Panel, Arthritis Panel and ANA.  
Now the Internist is very concerned.  He knows this is not like me to complain this long.   He wants me to see a neurologist.

He should of told me this a month ago. Much time was wasted and more time to worry about "what could this be".  It is human nature to think the worst.  

Patient's get well when they are in the hands of good, caring physicians.  The sooner the better.

I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms. Finaly exhausted my medical aid to no avail. Getting desparate now. Please advise if you have had any joy. This neck thing is really freaking me out.  Please confirm receipt of this e-mail.
Many Thanx

Nazeus
I am so glad to know that I am not the Lone Ranger.I also have neck pain at the base of my skull on the left side and in the front of my neck on the left along with a feeling of a lump when I swallow.I also had this last year and it went away on its own after about 3 months, now it has come back and I have had it for 4 months now.My Doctor has treated me for GERD, post nasal drip and depression. I went to the ENT last year and he also saw nothing. I do get some relief when I take ativan but it returns after about 10-12 hours. Somedays if I do not think about it I do not notice it,but then I will realize that I had not noticed it and then here it comes again. I do feel like if I had cancer I would have more symptoms by now such as weight loss, coughing up blood or something. If anyone has any answers or suggestions Please let me know.
I have Pain & numbness in my right arm also pain in the front of my neck.. I have MS & for years my doctor has just lead me to belive This was my MS I went abroad paid for MRI & my prob with arm was my neck... It took me months to get anyone to listen to me now going to have operation on my neck... As iv had for years the numbness may not go but the pain will.. As nerve pinched... my advice would be for anyone with same symptoms insist on having  MRI as I just belived the nuro doc & suffered for years.. My feet also numb same again nuro doc does nothing MRI had abroad shows prob with my back could b the problem I'm working on that now with my nuro doc... Well now you all think I'm falling apart.. I'm not not yet!  Thanx to Me not anything to do with ... Doctors here.. so if somthing not right keep at the docs.. As once nerves dead can not mend... Christine