Neurology Expert Forum
neck pain and dizziness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

neck pain and dizziness

I been having this pain in the neck for about few month but now i have dizzines  especial when I getin up.  I do have a bad sinus condicion but it realy worry me because i never feel this way before and i live alone and i am 77 years old, I been very active all my life  I go to the gym,  dance, and  we have a group that we sing for the more old  people who live in homes. I am very concern and I hope is nothing to bad I have MIR and it was negative.    

Thank you for your answer  Truly Ms. Arocho
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

If by dizziness you mean vertigo (room-spinning), the causes could be either the inner ear or the brain. Inner ear causes of vertigo most commonly include benign positional vertigo (BPPV), which is due to small particle in the inner ear that moves out of place, and can be repositioned with simple head maneuvers. The symptoms often include vertigo that occurs with turning of the head, often while turning over in bed. Another cause, if your symptoms are associated with tinnitus (ear ringing) and hearing loss is called Meniere’s disease and can be treated with medications and sometimes surgery. And so on, several other causes from inner ear problems exist.

Vertigo can also be due to problems in the brain. The most common is a benign tumor called a schwanoma (also called acoustic neuroma). This is diagnosed by MRI of the brain. Multiple sclerosis can cause vertigo, but often, other symptoms are present as well. A normal MRI of the brain excludes multiple sclerosis. Thyroid problems can also lead to vertigo.

If by dizziness you mean light-headedness, causes could include low blood pressure such as due to dehydration or autonomic dysfunction, cardiac problems, and several other non-neurologic causes. Anemia can cause light-headedness as well.

I suggest you be evaluated by your primary care physician. You may need basic lab work to check your blood counts, and you would also benefit from having orthostatic vitals obtained (to determine how your heart rate and blood pressure respond to variations in posture).

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.