Neurology Community
neck/shoulder/arm pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

neck/shoulder/arm pain

I am 48,female,in good shape and health.Two yrs ago I started experiencing right side neck/shoulder/arm pain that radiates to my upper chest,into my armpit and under my scapula in the upper back.It is sporadic pain and varies in intensity.Most of the time when it flares up,which can be evey day for a month or only once a month,it is unbearable.It is a severe pinching,sqeezing,burning pain with a lot of pressure.It radiates down my arm into my hand.The worst part of it is the pain under my scapula and upper chest.It really is excrutiating.I get no relief from any pain meds.I have had a cervical MRI, EEG-EMG,shoulder x-ray,chest x-ray,abdominal ultrasound(rule out GB problems)and several breast mammograms &ultrasounds.Everything is normal except the EEG-EMG that showed a very mild abnormality with the ulnar nerve,but nothing that the doctor thought was significant.I have had 3 rounds of physical therapy and I am currently seeing a trigger point massage therapist.It feels great when I have the massage,but the pain always,always returns.I don't know what to do next.The doctors I have seen about this don't have an answer.All I know is that before two yrs ago, I didn't have this pain.My worry is something is being missed and it is something serious.Thoracic outlet syndrome has been mentioned.I have been told it is hard to diagnose though.What other tests should I have done to rule out anything scary?Since it has been two yrs should I have any of the previous tests repeated?Your input is appreciated.
I am experiencing the exact same thing. I am 49 I will be watching this site to see if there are any answers.  My symptoms  mirror yours in every way.  Good to see that I'm not the only one.
Hi, I have experienced these symptoms myself for over 8 months and I just recently discovered the cause for me.  Have any of you researched Fibromyalgia or Myofascial Pain Syndrome (AKA Chronic Myofascial Pain)?  I have been diagnosed with Myofascial Pain but only after I brought it up to the doctor and did the research myself!  This is an often misdiagnosed problem but it tons of women with these problems (an some men) with these symptoms you are talking about.  It hits mainly femalse from age 20-40 but it can be later or earlier sometimes.  It affects several parts of the body but mainly left arm and neck along with pectoral and upper back, and has to do with trigger points. Go to http://www.myofascialtherapy.org/symptomcheck/  to find out if this may be what is going on with your body.  Hope this helps.
to be safe rule out anything it could be...chiari is sometimes misdiagnosed as fibro...u need a specialist , but u can have MRI's of the brain and spine...also a CINE MRI checks the flow of spinal fluid......I wish u all the best in getting a dx for ur symptoms that u find relief.

Godspeed
"selma"
I have the same pain, in which i am going to the doctor this week to get other things ruled out. I do have Fibro, and im only 26. So far i have been fairly regulated with gabapentin, and muscle relaxers every once in a while. The pain is getting worse (hint the apt this week) I've had severe pain under my left shoulder and into my chest, sort of from the inside. It hurts to breath and especially stretch it out. I do have a bump on my chest, if i was to push on that in any way... I would have a flare up for at least a few days. Is anyone else out there on the same page? Could it all just be the Fibro or is there a combination in which the fibro is working with. Im at a loss, and in pain.