Neurology Community
need answers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

need answers

I've had stroke like symptoms. Was admitted to the hospital and they took tuns of test which all came back fine. MRI showed 5 lesions on my brain. Went to see neurology and had an EEG. Neurology Dr said my EEG showed "sharp activity" Now he's scheduling me for a 48 hour EEG. I asked him if he saw seizure activity and he said no..."Sharp activity" Is there a difference?  
I'm not sure what sharp activity means. I was also admitted to the hospital, on two separate occasions, for stroke like symptoms. My MRI also shows lesions. They are in my frontal lobes. I was diagnosed with Hemiplegic migraines. None of the meds that I have tried worked for me. I tried topamax, anti depressants, and calcium channel blockers. I still get the migraines occasionally but I actually seem to be doing better without meds. Mine are worse with my period and seem to be worse when I eat processed foods. Do you get a headache after the stroke like symptoms? Have you had the symptoms more than once?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There are certain set criteria to define epileptiform activity. Sharp activity in order to be epileptiform needs to stand out significantly from the background (>50%) and disrupt it. This is usually in the form of a spike (<70ms) or sharp wave (70–200ms) with a slow wave that disrupts the background. To clarify your doctor has ordered for a 48 hr EEG.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.