Neurology Community
need help

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

need help

Hi. I have been feeling different symptoms for about 2 1/2  years. I am 27 years old and been to different docs and different er. I will just spill out all the symptoms i feel. They tend to go away at a point and i feel ok for a while but then they do come back sometimes a couple months later. Also i will say that sometimes i have a hard time falling asleep where i feel i cant shut down.

Here is the symptoms:

Last year i started to get twiching all over my body and twiching in my eye. At the same time that was happening it felt like my brain was going to get a electric shock or something, almost felt like my brain could get a stroke. All of that went away after about 3 weeks of feeling that.

I felt fine for about 2 months then i started to get heart palpations. Palpations lasted for about 2 weeks then calmed down and went away.

thought that i would bring up that the year before i felt the twiching and palpations i was rushed to the hospital cause i  fainted twice but they said i was just dehydrated or it was because of my blood presure med lowered my bp too much.

All of these feelings went away complely after a while. Ive been to many doctors that ran so many test blood test, ct scans 2 times and they all said they found nothing. I also got my heart checked on a ultra sound and nothing, i got ultra sound on liver, kidneys, gull bladder and found nothing..

I did so many blood test it was kinda upseting my arm.

The only thing my doctor said was that i tested possitive for lyme disease but then he ordered another blood test for it and it came out negative, so he then ruled it out.

Now here i am today feeling the same things. I feel like im gonna pass out again but stopping myself from doing so. Im also getting the electric feeling in my head again and feeling heart palpations. I am not getting any twiching at this point but feeling faint now for 2 days is worrying me. If i go to doctor they tell me the same thing anxiety. Why is it that symptoms seem to go away but then strike again. Wondering if this is a neurological disorder or something.

Any input would help

thanks

Jonathan

Given your symptoms and lack of other definitive answers regarding your health, I would advise you to reconsider the interpretation of your Lyme disease testing.

Lyme disease is a systemic inflammatory illness that can affect the heart, nervous system, and more.  The accuracy and reliability of the testing for Lyme is not universally agreed upon, nor is the diagnosis or treatment.

This segment, taken from the Columbia Lyme and Tick-Brone Diseases Research Center, summarizes the current controversy surrounding Lyme disease:

"THE LYME DISEASE CONTROVERSY

The CDC clinical criteria for Lyme Disease which exist for the purpose of monitoring the rate of Lyme disease nationally are quite narrowly defined in order to ensure a high degree of specificity in the diagnosis. These criteria are mainly useful for the early stages and rheumatological presentations of Lyme Disease, such as when a patient appears with an erythema migrans rash, arthritis, a Bell's palsy, or early central neurologic Lyme disease (meningitis or encephalitis). The CDC criteria are not very helpful for helping the clinician to detect late stage neurologic Lyme Disease. For example, the most common manifestation of late neurologic Lyme Disease is cognitive dysfunction (often referred to as "encephalopathy"). A patient who presents with new onset encephalopathy and a positive blood test for Lyme Disease would not be considered by the CDC to be a case of Lyme disease. Although the CDC recognizes that Lyme encephalopathy exists, encephalopathy is not part of the "surveillance case definition". Hence, physicians who rely on the narrow surveillance case criteria of the CDC for clinical diagnosis will fail to diagnose some patients who in fact do have Lyme disease; in these cases, the patient's treatment will either not occur or be delayed. Such delay in treatment may result in an acute treatable illness becoming a chronic less responsive one.

Other physicians who use a broader more inclusive set of clinical criteria for the diagnosis of Lyme disease will make the diagnosis of Lyme Disease and initiate treatment. The latter group of doctors, by treating some patients for "probable Lyme Disease", will make use of antibiotic responsiveness to confirm their diagnostic impression. These physicians, by erring on the side of not letting a patient with probable Lyme Disease go untreated, will help many patients who otherwise would not get treatment; undoubtedly, however, because of the inclusiveness of their diagnostic approach, these physicians will also treat some patients with antibiotics who do not have Lyme Disease. These physicians would argue that the serious consequences for physical, cognitive, and functional disability associated with chronic Lyme Disease outweigh the risks of antibiotic therapy.

Both sets of doctors are practicing medicine in a reasonable fashion based on the application of certain diagnostic principles, although the therapeutic approaches differ considerably stemming from the narrow vs broad criteria for diagnosis. This is the essence of the medical controversy surrounding chronic Lyme disease. Until medical doctors have a test that definitively identifies the presence or absence of infection (and such a test does not yet exist), the controversy about the diagnosis and treatment of chronic Lyme Disease will continue.

In July 2009, the IDSA held a hearing to review recommendations and critiques of the 2006 Lyme Disease IDSA treatment guidelines by a range of speakers from the United States.  The comments of those speakers can be found at the IDSA website."

***

You may also want to search out the book "Cure Unknown" by P. Weintraub and the documentary "Under Our Skin."  Both have easy-to-find websites with a lot of online content.  Additionally, the ILADS (International Lyme And Associated Diseases Society) site has tons of references and a referral service for doctors specializing in Lyme disease.

If you have other questions about Lyme disease, feel free to visit the Lyme community here at MedHelp:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Lyme-Disease/show/148