Neurology Community
nerve conduction studies on the pudendal nerve

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

does EMG and nerve conduction studies detect a pudendal neuralgia
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Welcome to the medhelp forum with this query.  pudendal nerve is a sensory, autonomic and motor nerve which carries signals to and from genitals, anal area and urethra. Pudendal neuralgia occurs when the nerve or one of its branches becomes entrapped, damaged or inflamed. The diagnosis is usually made based on the patient’s symptoms, history, and exclusion of other illnesses such as infection or tumor. Some of the more commonly used tests are the pudendal nerve motor latency test (PNMLT), electromyography (EMG), diagnostic nerve blocks, and magnetic resonance neurography (MRN). I hope this information helps. Take care and keep me posted for any further query.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
hi , thankyou for your comment , i have all the classic symptoms of pudendal neuralgia , these symptoms have been with me since june 2009 and i have had exclusion of other illnesses , my neurologist recently gave me all clear for inflammatory and autoimmune diseases but is reluctant to give me any of the tests that you have mentioned on your comment as i mentioned some of those tests to my neurologist and she said that a pudendal nerve is too difficult to test even though there are many ways to test it , and all i have been given is amitriptyline and a psychiatrist refferal , im seeing a pelvic floor physiotherapist in a few days because i definately feel as if im not being told the truth by my neurologist who is saying that there is no found cause of my illness when i havent even recieved sensory testing of any kind yet but is saying i have the symptoms of pudendal neuralgia but wil not give a confirmatory test or diagnosis , not even on my history and exclusion of other illnessess , i am unsure what to do because i dont want to upset my neurologist by arguing over PNMLT and EMGs but i do not believe that what she is saying is true .  
Hallo, I guess I am in the similar situation, you are not alone. My problems started in summer 2009 with pains at the base of the penise and in scrotum. The pains came and go, with some periods of minor discomfort and periods of quite strong pains. In january 2011 pains became more prominent, each time after some phisical strain (playing tennis, sex etc.). I tried so called shock wave into my groin area, being persuated by orthopedist that the problem is in strained groin. After that the pains became much more worse and I know I made an fatal error when apllying this shockwave. This indicates to nerve contusion of the periferal branches of perineal/dorsal nerve (which are the branches of pudendal). my neurologist does not agree, stating that if the pains are bilateral, it cannot be pudendal nerve irritation (which is not true). Anyway. he said that he is not an expert in perineal neurology, So now I am hard finding the neurologist who is insider within this field. I will keep you informed, if you want send me personal message. All the best
Flyer28
hello , have you tried consulting a physiotherapist or pain management specialist they both kinda specialise in nerve irritation and have knowledge of this kind of pain but not alot , and is ur pain werse with urination and intercourse ? mine is and everytime i sitt down but the problem with me and my neurologist is i have typical sciatica pain in both legs , feet aswell as perineum and the neuro says the legs are unrelated to whatever causing the perineal pain but it came a few moths after the perineal pain did , i even found some website on pudendal nerve pain and it does say that near by nerve fibres can generate pain something called cross talk but my neuro is like nah thts not it but is agreeing that pudendal is causing the pain in my perineum , have you tried any meds like amitriptyline or pregablin? they work on the nerve but can cause side effects i had nasty sides from them so not taking them anymore but my pain was constant everyday for the first yr and half butnow comes and goes , do you get any muscle symptoms i have terrible muscle weakness and tightness in my lower back abdomen and legs and yh that is not true you can have bilateral pudendal pain i have that and bilateral sciatic or tibial pain , some neurologists arent very helpful ive seen a few and mite be good idea to get a second opinion or try the other specailsits i mentioned ( if you havent already ) , keep me informed and heres a good website on pudendal neuralgia stateing tht what both of us are saying is true ( maybe print it out n give to ur neuro thts what i did lol ) all the best we aint alone but shame aint better help for people like us pudendal is a rare pain i think and these docs should no more about it .
http://www.ehow.com/about_5136822_pudendal-neuralgia-symptoms.html