Neurology Expert Forum
nerve conduction test results
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

nerve conduction test results

First off, "Thank-You" for the wonderful service you provide.  I was referred to a neurologist for numbness,burning,weakness and aching in feet and legs.  Upon exam one month ago, the neuro said peripheral neuropathy of some sort. I had a nerve conduction test and the neuro said I had some damage, I will give details below. My father had severe trouble with his legs and feet, he got so he could barely walk,pain and constant burning, numbness and severe muscle cramps that would draw his legs up also stiffness upon walking, he walked stiff legged. He went to the V.A. hosp. several times and never got a dx. I asked my neuro if I could have the same thing he had and he said that pain in legs and feet were not a part of any of the hereditary neuropathys. He took another look at my feet and legs and found that I have a very high arch and lower leg muscle atrophy and no feelings upon pin being put on lower legs and feet.  I have been searching the net and I have all the symptoms of charcot marie tooth which I now believe my father had. Here is the N.C.V. test....   F response latencies are prolonged and the Sural sensory latencies are also prolonged.  My neuro had blood test done and a chest x-ray.  I do not have those results yet. My questions are.  Does this sound possible that I could have C.M.T.?  What would cause lower leg atrophy? I was always a very active person until my legs and feet started to bother me. I did stretching exercising every day and now my legs are stiff and refuse to allow me to stretch. If not C.M.T. what else does it sound like?  I'm sorry this is so long. I get cramps in my legs and feet also. Neuro also found foot drop-left foot. I stumble a lot and lose my balance.  Thank-You for your time, you are all very busy people and we are all very lucky to have access to your knowledge.
=========================================================================
This sounds very typical of Charcot- marie -Tooth, the wasting of the lower part of the calves is classical and is referred to as the " inverted champagne bottle " appearance, it is associated with numbness in the feet and weakness of elevation oif the foot which gives a characteristic gait, lifting the foot up very high as one walks.
The lower leg atrophy is presumably a manifestation of the sort of muscle atrolpjy which results when nerve supple is withdrawn fron any muscle, since this starts at the periphery the lower part of the leg is most affected by nerve damage and thence by muscle wasting.
There is a blood test availablewhich can identify familial cases of Charcot-Marie-Tooth I  would suggest that you request to have this done if possible by your physician.