Neurology Expert Forum
nerve damage from epidural injection

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

nerve damage from epidural injection

I have a spinal fusion in my lower back. Because of still constant pain in my lower back from the sciatic nerve I have been getting epidural injections for the past year which to some extent have helped me deal with the pain. The last epidural I had 2 weeks ago. When the doctor gave me the injection he touched the nerve with the needle which was not very pleasant.
since then I have had constant back pain, nerve pain down my leg and hip. Was the nerve damaged and if so will it heal and how long will the healing process take ?
It is impossible for me to say if you have sciatic nerve damage without being able to examine you. However if there was a significant injury to the sciatic nerve one would expect to have muscle weakness in the lower part of your leg.

The best way to have this evaluated is to see a neurologist who can assess the nerve function by examining you and possibly perform an EMG, to test the nerve function. Good luck
My thoughts are that it could be scar tissue that has formed in the neural foramin. It can cause more problems (scar tissue)in the dural sac if you have had multiple surgeries. My question to you is: I am facing a double lumbar fusion, post 5 lumbar surgeries since 83, and I want to ask you some questions about the limitations, loss of movement, etc. I am scared to death and would like to wait until 2004 for FDA approval of the artificial disc, but it has affected my pelvic, rectum, and my hips and can't wait much longer. Can you e-mail me at ***@**** with some answers to my questions? I would deeply appreciate any comfort in such a severe surgery. Thanks, Cyndi
A related discussion, sciatic injection neuropathy was started.
A related discussion, epidural was started.