Neurology Community
nerve entrapment ilioinguinal

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

nerve entrapment ilioinguinal

A little over a year ago I had a small bowel resection.  Within a couple of weeks from being home from the hospital I started having severe abdominal pain about 2 inched below my incision.  I ended up going to the ER, as I though something was very wrong, but they found nothing.  This pain has continued for about a year now and almost never goes away no matter what is done. After all of the tests and several doctor's visits I was told that the pain was caused by an ilioinguinal nerve entrapment caused by scare tissue.  i have had  nerve locks with minimal and no lasting effect. I apologize for not know the technical term but now the surgeon wants to do a procedure that would cut the nerve, with the goal of getting rid of the pain, but would leave a numb spot on my stomach for life.  Has anyone experienced anything similar or can offer some advise.

Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine her I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that she needs, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about her health concern.

I doubt that still there may be some nerve is compressing by the scar or injured during that abdominal surgery. Sometimes these symptoms may occur due to other nerve compression. Nerve cutting surgery could be helpful in providing some relief from your symptoms. Therefore, some numbness symptoms could be associated in future. I would suggest consulting your treating neurologist who would like to provide you a better insight in the situation. Hope this helps.

Last week I went to Montreal for Sports Hernia repair. There were three tears in the external oblique (4 cm, 2cm, and 1 cm) and two branches of the Ilioinguinal nerve were entrapped. Dr. Rae Brown made a 5 inch incision repaired the tears, inserted a mesh and removed two 1.5 inch branches of the ilioinguinal nerve. While the pain is different I am still in a lot of pain. 8/10. 2 inches immediatley below the incision I have no feeling at the surface. It feels weird but I am sure I will get use to it. The pain is at the inguinal ring, down my right thigh and about 2 inches to the left of my right hip bone. I hope this pain is temporary. Any more questions just post them.

I went/ going through something similar, nerve entrapment, illioinguinal neuralgia due to a botched routine hernia surgery 2 years ago.

The 2nd surgeon cut those nerves because of pain. Now I have a permanent  patch of numbness with pain increasing over time. The pain would be there regardless, but that numb patch feels TERRIBLE !!

My heart goes out to anyone having to suffer with this.
I had a large bowel resection 2 years ago due to a perferated colon.  After the surgery 90% of the pain went away and i felt good.  Then i started to notice a nagging pain in the area of surgery.  Over the past 2 years it has become compleley agonizing.  It has hindered my life in so many ways.  I have had over 30 ER visits to get pain relieve.  In Jan 11 I had to have another surgery to have a hyrnia removed as well as a twisted bowel.  Again after I got home i felt good except in the same area that the pain was in originally.  During this time I have Lost my General Practioner because she didn't believe me.  I tried a pain Dr and he offered me 1 vicoden a day ( may as well as thrown a cotton ball at a brick wall.  So i went back to my surgeon who is a great guy and he referred me to another Dr who is chief of anesthesiology.  This guy is super!!  We are now doing pain blocks in my abdomen without any success.  I just stumbled on this site and I am glad to see I am not the only person that is fighting this condition.  I have had 2 tap blocks that are very painful afterwards, and then if that doesn't work we are going through the back and ribs.  I have alot of hope that his is going to work!  And finally someone is listening to me!  I know this is 3 years old....but for 2 years I have been suffering the worst pain i have ever had.  Anyone that is expieranceing anything like this please email me so we can discuss stories.  thanks
erhalt1
***@****