Neurology Community
nerve itching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

nerve itching

I have recently developed a problem with nerve induced itching.  It started about 3 days ago with a headache several days prior that was atypical for me along with itching in my chin area.  It quickly developed to itching & sensitivity to my entire body.  I am waking up in the middle of the night with my whole body's nerve system going haywire like as if I had been given an electric shock.  If I itch anything, it becomes worse (like poison ivy, which it is not) and I develop raised bumps that go away when the itching decreases.  I find that that I am super sensitive to anything against my skin & showers make my whole body feels like I am being bitten by millions of fleas.  This goes on throughout the day with different parts of the body being affected separately and not all at the same time.  If I do sit ups, I will develop itching in my lower back/buttock area where the pressure is greatest along with a rash.  I am at a loss for what to do & it is distracting beyond description & worry that I can not go on like this.  I have not seen my PCP yet because I would like to know before I do If you have ever heard of anything like this before because I have not.  I feel like it is not shingles because I have not developed a permanent rash that develops pus & scabes &  does not follow any of the other symptoms associated with shingles.  Please help me.  Any input would be truly grateful.

Thank You,

Jodi Kvidera   @   ***@****

This discussion is related to Nerve Itch.
Have you had any answers about this? I was just wondering because it sounds a lot like what I am experiencing right now.
this sounds like a problem that i recently started having too! when i get nerved up about something or stressed out my arms begin to itch and the itch is unbareable! it feels like the itch you get when healing from a really bad sunburn like a pinprick itch and when you itch it gets worse, and also i will get little bumbs and no rash skin is only red from the itching. i have found the only relief is to put ice packs on my arms long enough to numb the area a bit it seems to settle down the nerve endings and the itching will stop.
I have multiple sclerosis and have developed and intense itch that my dr.s thought was a reaction to the ms injections so they switched my meds.  It went away for a while but now its back. The itch is so extreme, I would try anything.  Ice does help also the dermatologist gave me some steroid foam that helped as well as pills. Aveeno skin treatment lotion calms it enough for me to fall asleep. I was really hoping it was something I could treat and not an exaserbation but after reading your posts I'm afraid I'll have to live with this.Try the Aveeno - it works quicker than ice for me.
I started with this new symptom yesterday, itching like crazy all over, took beneydral , went to sleep, woke up 1am this morning Iam covered in bumps, whelps all over some to the point I have scratched till they bleed, they in my head also.Does MS cause this? Iam still up in the air with my dx. 2 neuros say yes, 1 says maybe APS=hughes disease, so I should know results today with both, spinal was negative , 2 mri's 13 small lesions and still sick. only meds im on are plavix. I feel also like I could just tear my skin off. Waiting to call doc this morning with this new symptom. any help is appreciated
i+had+surgery+when+i+was+thirteen+%5Bi+am+now+eighteen%5D+on+my+knee+and+got+nerve+damage.+all+the+time+my+leg+itches+until+i+feel+it+could+bleed.+i+found+out+that+rubbing+it+is+the+only+thing+that+sort+of+stops+the+itching.+it+works+because+i+can't+feel+myself+itch+it+so+rubbing+seems+to+relax+the+nerves+in+some+way+without+drying+my+skin+out+or+ripping+it+raw.+i+was+just+wondering+if+there+is+anything+else+i+can+do.+i+do+not+have+many+allergies+but+have+very+sensitive+skin.+it+is+disturbing+my+days+and+nights.+if+anyone+knows+anything+at+all+please+please+let+me+know.+i+would+grately+appreciate+it.+thank+you+and+have+a+wonderful+day.+hope+you+all+figure+out+your+health++problems+too.+also+if+any+one+has+any+information+about+bulging+discs+in+lower+back+and+the+nerves+and+muscles+around+that+and+how+to+relieve+the+horrible+pain+i+would+appreciate+that+also.+thank+you+again+for+you+time.