Neurology Expert Forum
nerve pain/ leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

nerve pain/ leg

I had back surgery twice in one week... the second time because a piece of the disc that was removed was in betted in the nerve located about waste high.  Since then I have had pain in my leg below my knee down to my toes.  Most of the time it is a burning sensation but will also feel like the nerves are jumping out of my skin.  My doctor doesn't seem to have any idea what to do...was wondering if you have any suggestions.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

It sounds like you have had a pain from your knee to your toes following spine surgery. Without the ability to obtain a history and examine you I can not provide you with a diagnosis nor directly suggest a treatment for you. However, i will try to provide you with some information.

There are of course several causes to leg pain. Some are orthopedic or muscular. However, burning pain is often due to nerve injury or irritation, termed neuropathic pain. The nerves that supply the lower leg below the knee to the toes are predominantly what are called the L5 and S1 nerve root. If your buldging disc had been in that area, it is possible that this could have pressed on these nerve roots as they exited the spinal column, irritating them. Alternatively, it is possible some irritation occurred to these nerves during surgery.

You would benefit from evaluation by a neurologist. he/she can examine you for physical findings of neuropathy (peripheral nerve problems) or radiculopathy (nerve root problems). He/she may decide to do further evaluation such as another MRI of your lumbar spine (as I imagine you have already had one?). Also, one test that can help determine whether or not the L5 and S1 nerves are irritated is abbreviated EMG/NCS, this procedure tests how electricity is conducted along nerves and how muscles respond to such electricity. It can give an indication about whether or not there is damage and if so, how extensive it is. If the neurologist determines that your pain is neuropathic, certain pain medications are particularly helpful for neuropathic pain and he/she may choose to prescribe them.

I hope you find this information useful, thank you for using the forum, good luck.