Neurology Community
nerve pain and mesh problems.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

nerve pain and mesh problems.

I am now facing my second surgery to fix my mesh because it is going through my vaginal wall. But i had an experience a couple of weeks ago that i was wondering if anyone else has experience. I was in the bathroom getting dressed bent over a little and got the worst pain i have ever felt. I could feel something turn completely over inside of me on my left side about the height of my belly button. I had to call my husband to help me cause i was bent completely over from the pain and the pulling feeling i was having. he had to help me sit down after 5 minuts or so of setting bent over the pain started to ease and i could start to stand up again. But i am still having sharp pains in that spot of and on and some cramping once in awhile. I was wondering if any other ladys that have had a mesh implant experienced anything like this. I am afraid that my mesh has gone in to my organs. It has already gone into my bladder a little and was repaired in my first surgery.  I would also like you to know I have been diagnosed with endometriosis, small fiber neuropathy, severe incontinence and chronic pain syndrome. I have read that some ladies suffer from nerve damage due to this mesh. I was wondering what your thoughts on this is. I had a hysterectomy when i was 29, they put in a mesh sling to hold my bladder up  and a sling on my urethra about 3 years ago. I had one revision surgeon in april of 2012, I am now scheduled for a second in feb. Thanks
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Mesh repair die not lead to nerve damage. Possible causes of the symptoms include GU/ GI infections, inflammations, trauma, endometriosis, neuro-muscular causes etc. You may consider getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!