Neurology Expert Forum
nerve pain in legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

nerve pain in legs

I have had a hip replacement and it's been a full month ago  (female 60 yrs).  My operative leg is doing great, HOWEVER, both legs, especially the unoperative leg have nerve pain.  It's only from the hip to the knees.  It is absolutely excruiating to lie down flat.  If I turn over a little on my side even laying on the nerve, it eases up only a tiny bit so that I can sleep at night.  It hurts when I stand for too long, sit for too long or walk with my cane too long.  They did try to put a spinal block, but didn't work?....and was put under by  general anesthesia...The orthopaedic surgeon told me that it may come from my back??

My question:   WHAT does an neuralogist do for me?...I can't lay down for an MRI...??  am afraid that they will ask me to do this???  Can this be surgical repaired???  I am on Neurontin from my surgeon...it does help a tiny bit...I think?

Please help me with this....Does a Chiropractor help, does an accupuncturist help..
Thanks,
Judy  ps...literally on needles and pins all of the time...   :-(
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Is the pain on the inside of the hip or outside? If the pain is on the inside of the thigh, it may be a condition where the nerve is entrapped. This nerve is the obturator nerve. This may happen during hip surgeries because of its vulnerable location. If it does become entrapped, it will producepain from the groin down the inner thigh. There may also be weakness with bringing the thighs together against resistance. .

Another condition that can cause pain on the outside of the thigh is from entrapment of a nerve called the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. It can become entrapped in pregnancy, obesity, or from direct compression, fracture of the front part of your pelvis, or too much rotation of the pelvis anteriorly.

I do recommend seeing a neurologist. He/she will be able to do a formal neurological examination which includes motor and sensory testing as well as reflexes. The examination and history are important in localizing the problem. For diagnosis, an MRI of the low back would be helpful. You may be able to have this performed under anesthesia if needed. Also, a test called an EMG/NCS would be helpful. Both will aid in the diagnosis and future management of your condition. I cannot comment on if surgery will help since you need a formal diagnosis. For the pain, I see that you are on gabapentin already. It does take time to titrate the medication up to a therapeutic dose. I would not go to a chiropractor until a diagnosis is established.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.