nerve pain post lumbar fusion
I had lumbar fusion surgery (L4-5,L5-S1) on 9/11/07 primarily to relieve nerve pain down right buttock/leg and numbness and tingling in both feet.  Nerve pain and foot symptoms have actually worsened.  My surgeon just told me to give it time, and I've read previous responses in this forum re: nerve regeneration.  My question is should I still hold out realistic hope for improvement over time even though symptoms are worsening?  Could worsening, especially of neuropathic-like symptoms in my feet, be part of the healing process?  Right now MD is trying to switch me from neurontin to lyrica and I'm not sure either is helping.  I just want to know if I should still have hope.
Hi.

All types of surgery contain risks. With regards to spine surgery, the risks involved may be greater than with other types of surgery.

Any time surgery is done on the spine, there is some risk of injuring the spinal cord, which can lead to nerve damage, thus resulting in pain or paralysis, depending on the extent of the injury.

You should talk to your neurosurgeon about alternative forms of conservative treatment for the pain such as physical therapy or TENS.

Hope this helps.