Neurology Community
nerve pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

nerve pain

Several weeks ago I had a blood draw, when the needle was inserted I felt a severe pain shoot down into my hand, the needle was quickly removed and I felt light headed, a nurse was brought in to look at me. The nurse had me drink some juice and lie down, it was about 10 minutes before I felt well enough to stand. The pain in my arm has not gone away and I am also experiencing itching. I went to see my doctor and he thought maybe a nerve had been hit by the needle. He also told me that normally there are not any nerves close to where a blood occurs but that there is a possibility that I do have a nerve that is close to where a blood draw occurs as we are all built different, he also said it would go away soon.  I am concerned that the pain is still in my arm and sometimes wakes me at night, Sometimes when I pick something up or different motions of my hand I feel a pain I can only describe as like an electric shock. My arm (lower arm) feels extremely warm to the point of being uncomfortable. I have tried ibuprofen with no success. So my question is; should I see a specialist about this pain?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hello yaksend,
chances are very meek for any type of nerve injury during blood removal. Some people develop hypersensitive response to this type of injury. Even i had this problem, when i went for blood donation. It took me 3 months to become normal.
So don't worry. However if you think it's persisting, you can visit your local practioner.
regards
abhijeet
My 14 year old daughter has pain from the back of her neck, shoots up to the head and down to the arms as well.  Cervical x-ray shows no abnormality.  What else should I do now.

Anna.
did your pain ever go away?
I had this happen last week and the pain is still there. Same exact thing, except mine is from my armpit to my thumb. I am worried that it will be permanent. Your experience is very helpful!
It does go away, it is not permanent unless the nerve is severed, which in my understanding, can't happen with vein punctuation but only with bigger traumas.

The morning I had the accident during blood work, after 2 hours my arm was in terrible pain and visibly swelling, so I just went back to the same lab I had the blood test done and asked to see a Neurologist and she gave me an ultrasound to be sure there was no phlebitis.

She agreed that some damage had been done, though, so they gave me free samples of medicines. I think they've been nice in my case, but thinking about it, this should be the norm. Things like this are scary, mostly cause you don't know how long they will last.

I also went to a Pharmacist doctor to ask advice.  I've been told that the sooner you start taking care of it, the sooner the nerve can repair itself.

This is what I've been suggested and did for 1 month.

- been really careful not carrying any weight with my injured arm and let it rest
- took a Vitamin B complex (B6 + B12) every day for 1 months
- took an Acetyl-L-carnitine  supplement for 1 month (helped greatly!)
- took some Hypericum Perforatum 9CH (homeopathic remedy)

I'm writing this post after 6 weeks from the accident for all of you who are wondering if they will ever heal...(this is what I was wondering too)...
I AM COMPLETELY HEALED :)

Have faith, take care of your arm, take some nerve repairing supplement and if I may ....be kind but very firm with the persons who  damaged you and ask them to run some free tests and give you free medicines (this helped me not getting too worked up and angry and I think this IS important during the healing process).