Neurology Expert Forum
neural scan

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

neural scan

Hello,I'm new here and have a question on this procedure..I've had several Neural Scans.Both for my neck and my lower back.I have to let the nurse know when I feel anything,tingling,wet sensation and so on.So far,where I feel the numbness in my leg,it seems the Neural Scan number is higher...What should you feel?When the number is higher or lower during the scan?Has anyone had one of these scans?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The spinal cord is encased by bones called vertebra. Nerves start to form as they come off the spinal cord and exit through holes formed between the vertebra. If a nerve is compressed on as it exits through these holes, particularly in an area called the nerve root, a radiculopathy results. Neural scans, which are a kind of sensory nerve conduction study, are touted as being useful in distinguishing whether or not there is a radiculopathy. This test measures the threshold of stimulation necessary to initiate a response; if there is a pathology (abnormality) higher stimulation voltages are required in order to get a response.

So-called neural scans have not been demonstrated to be superior to the clinical examination, with ancillary testing such as MRI and standard nerve conduction studies, to help diagnose radiculopathy or other nerve problems. If you are suspected of having a nerve problem such as a radiculopathy, evaluation by such means by a qualified neurologist is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.