Neurology Expert Forum
neurocardiogenic syncope

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

neurocardiogenic syncope

I was just diagnosed with Neurocardiogenic Syncope.  Could you please tell me generally how long it lasts and will it reoccur later in life?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Staci!
Neurocardiogenic syncope is a relatively newly identified form of syncope, the exact nature and mechanism of which remains not fully understood and somewhat controversial. It is hypothesized that in this form of syncope (fainting) that excessively forceful contractions of the heart stimulate some nerves in the largest chamber of the heart that then cause the blood vessels in the body to dilate, causing a drop in blood pressure that ultimately results in fainting. It typically affects children and young adults. As it is a newly hypothesized condition, its natural history and risk for persisting into later adult life is unknown at this point in time, and will not be known until a large enough group of people diagnosed with it can be followed for many years to see what happens. Treatment for it is quite controversial. All medications carry potential risks of worsening the condition and/or significant side effects. We do have a syncope center at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation run by a Dr. Fouad, a cardiologist. If oyu would ultimately be interested in a second expert opinion on this disorder, I would highly recommend her. The Cleveland Clinic's phone number is 1-800-223-2273 (ask for syncope clinic appointments/Dr. Fouad). Please remember that information provided on the forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only, and that the actual diagnosis and treatment of your specific condition should be strictly in conjunction with your treating physician(s). We hope you find the information helpful, and apologize for the extreme delay in answering your question about this interesting disorder.