Neurology Expert Forum
neurological or autoimmune?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

neurological or autoimmune?

What am I not telling a Doctor that would help them diagnose me?  I realize the everyday person (obviously me) lacks the vocab that a well educated physician has.  Having said that the short description is... It started out as a left side head pain that over the course of 5 years undiagnosed and or untreated has turned into the entire left side of my body pain with increasing weakness, vision loss and muscle stiffness.  This all being episodic with symptoms lasting for hours to weeks to months at a time.

All my blood work, MRI, spinal tap, CT etc... come back "normal" other than consistently my RBC is low or just below lowest normal range, my cells are usually large and when I am "episodic" I am running a low grade fever.

So what am I not saying that would help someone, some doctor light up and say they even have the slightest idea what is happening to me?  Currently i am terrified, I am loosing the use of the left side of my body and no one knows why any, any help would be appreciated.  Sincerely, ~V
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Since your symptoms are present on one side of the body versus the other, causes could include a stroke or the condition multiple sclerosis. These would best be excluded by an MRI. Was the MRI you had of your brain? If so, were there any changes in the thalamus? Have you had an MRI of your neck, which may also be a source of one sided symptoms?

Also, since your symptoms migrate (move from one place to the other) and are intermittent, causes might include seizures, migraine disorder or metabolic problems such as low calcium. Have you had an EEG to look for any epileptic abnormalities?

Lastly, these symptoms may reflect emotional/psychiatric problems related to stress (what is called somatization disorder). The latter is a true medical condition whereby instead of a patient experiencing depression or anxiety, they experience physical symptoms, and once the stress is addressed, the symptoms resolve. Fibromyalagia is another medical condition that leads to whole body pains, and is best treated with medications such as lyrica and neurontin, exercise, and physical therapy.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.