neurology vs orthopedist
My mom has a compressed nerve in the L3-L2 area.  She has tried pain management, physical therapy, and other modalities so as to have surgery.  She does not have back pain but severe leg pain and now pain in her hands and arms. The pain goes away however if she walks hutched over.  She can also feel the bone on bone, which I assume would indicate disc issues also.  The MRI has been taken twice and it is agreed that surgery most likely is indicated. The choice is neuro vs ortho.  I understand the need for either to have a fellowship,or certificaiton in the spinal area, but which is better.

This discussion is related to Orthopedic surgeon vs. Nuerosurgeon.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

I doubt that some spinal nerves may be compressing in lumber spine (L3,L4) by disc prolapse & degeneration or stenosis. By the reason of that nerves from the spinal cord can be irritated causing weakness in the leg, leg/thigh pain and numbness, tingling. Few persons also face generalized body weakness and numbness due to other nerve irritation on back. This sort of spinal problems can either be dealt by spine specialist who is trained to treat such condition from both aspects. Other option can be a combined approach by neurologist and orthopedic surgeon is recommended as this way we can cover both aspects with preciseness. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this helps.

Take Care & Stay Healthy!!!