neurology
my grandson born with hyperinsulinemia. mri shows atrophy of occipital and parietal cortex. he is getting only nitrazepam to control infantile spasms. no vision. mild regidity in right lower and upperlimbs. he is 1 year and 3 months of age now. What is treatment to make him a normal baby?
Hi there.

From what you have described, I believe that he has a complex inborn neurological problem which is very hard to tell if the disease will be static or progressive.  The atrophy of the occipital lobe will explain his lack of vision since this part of the brain processes visual information.

Other conditions that I can think of would include diseases called 'glycogen storage diseases' and other diseases of metabolism.  Treatment is supportive and I believe there is no guarantee for the reversibility of the symptoms and the disease in general.  I suggest you continue with the medications prescribed and constantly follow up with his doctors to monitor the progression of disease.

Regards.