Neurology Expert Forum
neuropathy/cold/buzzing head
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

neuropathy/cold/buzzing head

Since lumpectomy/sentinal node biopsy for breast cancer mid-December 2008, I have been keeping a daily journal.  The first notation regarding "freezing cold and cannot warm up" appears in January.  Following surgery, I had unusual and continuing pain issues.  After three weeks, Doctor diagnosed neuropathy from sentinal incision down approx. three inches, prescribed Gabapentin to try to relieve symptoms - pain meds ineffective. Although Neurontin helped with pain tolerance, the loss of brain function side effects were so strong that I discontinued (could not drive, memory loss, dizziness, slurred speech, difficulty concentrating).  After radiation was completed I've been using Lidoderm patch on the area with great success (finally able to tolerate clothing).  But the "cold" will not go away.  I can feel it coming on (even in warm temps), as if cold is coming from inside rather than outside, and focused on arms and hands...sometimes the remainder of the body.  Wrapping in electric blanket or hot bath will help it subside, then it will often return with no common instigator.  Other nagging symptoms include loud "buzzing" in head (not ears ringing) with accompanying dizziness, pulse-pounding pain in teeth and nose area (this actually began in October 2008) and occasional "jolts" like electric shocks in head (also began pre-journal).

Until March, 2008, I was an amazingly healthy 58 year old.  Have since been treated for sleep apnea (APAP) and allergies (Nasacort, Allegra-D, Singulair).  Then the breast cancer.  I find it frustrating to have survived cancer, surgery, radiation and followup Arimidex so well, only to have these seemingly unrelated, and at times disabling, other issues which are difficult to address with Doctors.  Please note that symptoms have occurred long after prescription treatments, so do not believe these to be the cause.  Not sure how to proceed.  Is some neurological issue a possible answer?