Neurology Community
nodule on a pituitary gland.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

nodule on a pituitary gland.

What are the odds of total recovery on a healthy 12 year old boy with a nodule on his pituitary gland?
Well, I'm not an expert on this, but I am familiar with pituitary glands getting various cysts and growths on them and the effects they can cause.  I had a thyroid problem one time and during my experiences with reading and studying on that issue, I found out about how the pituitary gland is like a master gland over all the other endocrine glands of the body, which includes the thyroid, male and female hormone glands, adrenal glands, and so on.  This is actually an endocrine sort of subject.  Anyhow, it is a very common and necessary operation to take growths off the pituitary, since leaving it can affect the hormonal aspects of a person's being, and total recovery is normally expected.

The pituitary is in a very small space, it's located as a part of but just below the brain in a small sinus space behind the eyes, but with the patient under general anesthesia in an operating room, his pituitary can be accessed very easily through the nose, and with microscopic surgical techniques, growths can be removed as though no one had done anything to the patient, altho it is not an easy operation necessarily.  But the growth removal normally leaves the remainder of the pituitary intact, so that the impact on the function of this important gland is minimal to none.  A person goes on as before.

Some growths, depending on what kind of cells make up its form, can be treated by medication, some by laser-guided radiation, and other minimally invasive treatments.  Very rarely will a growth cause a scary problem, and in fact, if the boy's nodule is small and he has so far not had too many hormonal or eye type changes, chances are excellent that if a brain surgeon gets it off the pituitary gland, or treats it in some other way to get rid of it, then the boy will go on through life as though nothing happened, altho occasionally if perhaps the growth had already affected, for example, the function of his thyroid, he may have to take some lifelong medicine to help that gland work properly, altho usually once the growth is gone, so too is the problem it may have been causing.  

It's the great big growths, for example, ones that can interefere with eyesight, that can leave some residual effects, like if the mechanics of the eyes are pushed on because of the size of the tumor, perhaps peripheral vision may remain affected in a negative way.  And as for cancerous growths, which is quite unusual, if the surgeon had to take the whole pituitary out and treat a person for cancer, the patient can survive like anyone else who gets cancer, and endocrine medications can help the constellation of the other glands previously controlled by the pituitary so that they will continue to function normally.

So, the long and short of it is, the odds are very good that the boy with the nodule on his pituitary gland will recover just fine, as long as he is taken very soon to a brain surgeon to have his nodule evaluated as to what kind it is, the size, and any impact it has had so far to the boy's well-being, and then if it needs to be removed, then have it surgically addressed or treated with medications or other methods that will cause it to go away.  To leave such a thing on a person's pituitary is NOT acceptable and can cause all sorts of terrible problems down the road.  There ARE a few types of growths that are not considered any kind of problem and might be left alone, but in general this is not something a regular person or regular doctor can know.  You must visit a brain surgeon ASAP.  Please keep us posted as to what is going on and how the boy is doing.