Neurology Community
non drinker with high cdt reading

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

non drinker with high cdt reading

hi there can you help years ago i drank a fair bit  as i owned a night clud  but since 2002 when i finished the busness i have very little alcohol maybe a doz drinks or so didnt count them but recently i had a blood test  and the test came back  that my cdt total was 3% this indicates probable alcohol intake despite a normal ggt im am a bit concerned as to what could cause this could it mean there is something wrong with me i thought it could be a mistake but i had anouth test yesterday and the cdt was still high  can any body shine some light on this for me thanyou don

This discussion is related to Good Doctor   some questions.
Tags: Blood
Read the info at the link below.  It suggests, among several other things, that the CDT number can indicate liver disease, which can happen amongst those who drank a lot in the past.  Also, it takes several markers to identify an active alcoholic, not just the two you took.  Whomever is doing this test, be it for a job or whatever, if it's a job then it's hardly worth the trouble anymore... there are other happy work pursuits besides those types of jobs that make a person give blood samples or pee in a cup to become a member of that society.  And any reputable abuse center or legal requirement is gonna have several tests so as to make up for possible exceptions in talleys, and ALSO go to the length of requesting a health profile on your liver, like if perhaps your liver ALT numbers are high, then it might skew the CDT levels.  

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=172372
i got the results from my ultrasound it was slightly enlarged liver 16cm in span and shows diffuse increase in echogenicity  suggestive of moderate fatty change no focal lesion identified gallbladder abnormal distended and shows mobile sludge within the lumen gallbladder wall thickness is normal cbt normal calibre measuring 4mm conclusion is diffuse fatty change in the liver with sludge in the gallbladder lumen could this make my cdt elevated and is it life threatening thank you don
No.  If they had said you had cirrhosis of the liver, that can eventually spell trouble.  I have a fatty liver, too, mine is from drinking my 20s away in a blaze of infamous glory.  But you'll need to get your gallbladder taken care of, either cleared out somehow or removed... many people live without their gallbladder, my grandmother did and she lived to be in her 80s.  Just go see a doc and give him your ultrasound results, and let him take it from there, since I'm not an expert on gallbladders.
hi there i went and seen my doctor today to get  my blood test results and everything is elevated more  cdt ggt  and he said i no you didn't drink  this test shows that you are a heavy drinker as i said i dont drink hardly at all last drink i had was Xmas 1or2 stubbies this is really getting to me the work cover doctor is running with this i am prepared to take any test to show i rarely drink they are trying to make out i am a drunk as i said to my solicitor why are the work cover people allowed to do this to people i had a bad accident at work almost broke my neck when a fifty kg weight fell on my head and smashed me to say the least and all they can do is try to make me out a drunk hardly seems fair when you dont drink they are just trying to do is pay me less then i deserve i think this doctor should not be allowed  to say that i am a heavy drinker when im not any suggestion how i can prove i dont drink thank you don      
They can test your hair, expensive but true.  They can consider your fatty liver and clogged-up gallbladder are creating a false-positive, which there is plenty of literature about that.  At the link I gave you, there are other links that talk about how CDT is not the absolute test for alcohol use and how it's supposed to be done.  I might add that you could go to the "Alcoholism" or "Gastoenterology" websites and post your questions there...this is neurology, which has to do with the nerves in the body, the brain, and the spinal cord.  You can also do a search at those two forums or the entire forum and look for any posts about "CDT."  You can also have your medical doctor order a lab to run some more tests for alcohol abuse.  And then when you went to the hospital after your work accident, they probably drew blood and tested it for various things there, you can inquire if they did a blood alcohol test that day, which would show whether you drank anything the night before or that day.  

I hope some of this steers you in the right direction.  If all else fails, you can tell your work doctor that you will take them to civil court and sue them if they do not correctly balance your test results with your liver and gallbladder problems, and you have witnesses who will corroborate that you don't drink, and you will also call an expert on false-positive CDT tests.  
i dont drink ever and i always test positive for ethanol in my blood why?