Neurology Community
numb fingers, arm pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

numb fingers, arm pain

Hi, I am a 44 years old female.
My pinky and ring finger get  numb at night for the past two weeks, both hands.It goes away when I start moving my hands and fingers. Also my left arm hurts, from my shoulder to my wrist, worst close to the elbow. I had this night numbness before a couple of times, but it is getting worse. It also happened  a few times during the day, on one  hand, while I kept it in the same position for a while.
Doctor says my hands also show weakness. I have B-12 deficiency, but I'm taking supplements and brought the numbers back up. My vitamin D was also low, and I'm also taking supplements. I have osteoporosis and mild arthritis.
I was on crestor for two weeks and got out of it because I had muscle pain in my legs and possible tingling feet and toes. I'm not sure it is related to crestor.
Three months ago I has some similar episode, where I had neck, shoulder and arm pain, but my finger weren't numb like this time. I also had that time some muscle twitching everywhere and some cold sensations that lasted a few seconds and it went away.
I got an MRI of the cervical spine 3 months ago and it was normal, except for a very small bulging in one of the discs. But they said that wasn't the cause.
I''ve been thinking the numbness was because of a nerve compression, but what about the tingling in my feet and the temporary muscle twitches I had, could it be something else? or the twitching was just anxiety and stress?
Thank you
Pain, tingling and numbness are signs of neuropathy. Nerve involvement may be single (mono-neuropathy) or multiple (poly-neuropathy).
This nerve pathology can be due to Diabetes, Prediabetes, Vitamin deficiency, and altered blood pressure status, any nutritional deficiency, and abnormal endocrine status, compression of nerve or impingement of nerve at time of exit from Vertebrae.
You should be doing HbA1C, ESR, serum protein/immuno-electrophoresis, and vitamin B12, BUN, and creatinine levels to look for common causes of neuropathy.
I think you have symptoms in your arm due to bulging disc.
There are many different terms used to describe spinal disc pathology and associated pain, such as “herniated disc”, “pinched nerve”, and “bulging disc”. The bones which form your spine are called as vertebrae. The space between two vertebras is cushioned with disc. When disc bulge or break open due to any reasons like ageing (aging), or trauma to spine, it is called as herniated disc and this can cause pinching of nerve. It can happen in any region, but is more common at lower back in lumbar region and cervical region.
It is advisable for you to do physiotherapy for relief of pain and spasm of muscle, pain killers and pain management specialist for conservative management.
Yes stress and anxiety can cause this.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.